What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preferred Kneeboard in the RV

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am currently doing IFR training in my RV7. I need to purchase a kneeboard and was wondering what people like the most. I do not need it to hold an iPad mini because that is mounted. So really just need something to take notes, hold backup charts/maps, pens etc...

Was almost sold on the 9-G Plus, but that would I check in here first.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/9g_plus.php

Thanks,

Military Issue MXU-163/P on eBay,etc.

Ryan, I've been using a MXU-163/P kneeboard for over a decade. Light, pencil sharpener, smells like fear and panic.

Mine was a gift from Danny King from back in his AF days (it was his spare). The clip is so strong that you can clip the emergency laminated stuff on the outboard last 1" and leave the rest for writing area.

A quick glance at ebay shows (2) under $20. I used mine while getting the IFR ticket.

If you would like, I can mail you mine and let you play with it for a few weeks.

v/r,
dr

Last edited:
Well....In the vein of "the cheapest thing in the airplane is the pilot" :), I would find the simplest way to hold a paper pad and (I assume) a stopwatch.

I had those too during training, but they have gone away in actual flying. I use my tablet with an App that allows handwriting now. Wife made an elastic and velcro strap that interfaces with the keyboard cover (not used while flying) that holds the tablet screen in position on right thigh for flying.

Not sure I would graduate to a tablet during training since you are still learning the lingo and developing your own shorthand. Might be best to stick with pencil and paper for that.

Last edited:
I use the 9-G Plus

I did my IFR training in a Warrior so I had a big tri-fold kneeboard, which didn't work very well in the RV.

I been using the 9-G for the last 7 years. Even though I don't do much IFR, I use the kneeboard every time I fly. The size is perfect for the RV.

I use my POH as a kneeboard and write on the cover with a grease pencil ...
image1-480x640.jpg

I've got several of the 9-G's scattered about our airplane's - very compact, do just what I want, and pretty much the same as what I used to use at my old job. I've got other knee boards - these seem to fit my bill.

MXU-163/P F-4 Accident

Ryan, I've been using a MXU-163/P kneeboard for over a decade. Light, pencil sharpener, smells like fear and panic.

Mine was a gift from Danny King from back in his AF days (it was his spare). v/r,
dr

If the MXU-163/P is the metal one I am thinking of it was banned by the AF after it fell off of a WSO's knee in my squadron and jammed between the stick and the instrument panel on takeoff. The takeoff procedure in the F-4 is to start the t/o roll with the stick full aft. Both ejected safely.

No wonder Danny gave it to you. :)

[ed. I'm familiar with that accident Jim! Or at least Danny telling me about it. :) My knee board is the modified version post-accident that has a Velcro section which covers the release button on the bottom side of your leg. You have to pull the Velcro away from the switch before you can depress it. That accident was the reason the Velcro addition was installed, I was told.

What I like about this knee board in my RV-6 is that it is skinny enough to not impede the flap handle when I'm reaching for it. All the other knee boards/pads that I've used either didn't sit to my liking or draped obstacles over the flap handle. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Kneeboard

Plus 1 on the 9G kneeboard. I didn't like the other metal ones because they're too big and bulky and don't flex. My RV-4 is a comfy cockpit but not a lot of room so I had to think small.

A small yellow or white pad from Office Depot or Sam's Club slides right in and works perfectly. Like one poster said, if you want to attach a checklist you'll some rings.

I have been using the ASA IFR kneeboard for around 5-years. I like it.

525.jpg

Me too. Simple and effective for VFR duties.

I cut about 1" off the right side to make it slightly narrower, and added a spring pen clip just to the left of the top clamp. I always use a mechanical pencil, with a spare one Velcro'd to the glare shield.

I like to unclip it completely and set it aside for landings, just so there's nothing in the way.

Back