What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Over Rudder Wireway

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
I made a wireway to hold the wires that pass over the rudder pedal torque tubes. This wireway has several advantages over cushion clamps.
1. It is much easier to install the wireway with or without the rudders installed. Cushion clamps are normally difficult to install and even harder when in a hard to reach location.
2. No modification to the airframe is required. The wireway uses the existing nutplate and a #8 x 3/4" screw (AN525-8R12). There should not be much difference in weight compared to 2 or more cushion clamps.
3. All of the wires easily pass through the wireway with room to spare. Additional wires can easily be pushed through in the future.
4. Safety. A cushion clamp does not support the wires passing over the rudder tubes. Over time, the wires can sag down and touch the rudder tubes. It is not good practice to allow wires to come in contact with moving parts.
5. The rudder pedals and nylon blocks can be installed or removed without disturbing the wires.

At OSH I showed the wireway to other RV-12 builders and to Van's employees. Everyone liked it. Van's might use it instead of cushion clamps. However, changes to the plans requires lots of man hours, not to mention dealing with the government paperwork for S-LSA.
If anyone want to make a wireway and needs a clearer picture, I can email you one.
Joe Gores

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZTG2VpCuDRNmozTVJtZTVtUjg/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Yes - I saw it also

If I have any reason to go back in AFTER inspection, that will be a good idea. Thanks Joe.

John Bender

Changes to drawing

I made a couple of minor changes to the wireway drawing. Here is a PDF:
https://fkrfog.bay.livefilestore.co...hUfrWvIrjr-5XqKkr1YCJbg/wireway7.pdf?download
Joe
wireway7.jpg

Last edited:
Van's adopted my idea

What do you know, Van's adopted my idea for the Over Rudder Wireway (F-12125) and F-12125C Wireway Bracket flange. See revision 31-13 http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/31-13.pdf. Now my plane will be built exactly like the plans and I will not have to worry about the DAR rejecting my improvements. And it makes me feel good knowing that I contributed in a small way to make the RV-12 better. I showed the wireway to Van's employees at OSH. It did not take them very long to implement the change into the kit and plans.
Joe Gores
DSCN3726.JPG

Good idea Joe

You showed it to some of us a OSH this year. Yes, it is nice to see them adopt your idea. That is one mod worth going back to do later I feel.

Thanks Joe,

John Bender

I made the piece from the first drawing, and I don't have it at hand, but what is different in your new design? I have not yet used it due to a backorder that is holding me up for a few days.

Does anyone know if Van is supplying the changed parts or should we just go ahead and make them up as best we can?

Wireway

I made the piece from the first drawing, and I don't have it at hand, but what is different in your new design? I have not yet used it due to a backorder that is holding me up for a few days. Does anyone know if Van is supplying the changed parts or should we just go ahead and make them up as best we can?
My second drawing puts little feet onto the legs to allow clearance from the rudder tube shoulders. Van's probably made theirs even better. Since they came out with a revision, perhaps they will provide the parts to builders. If someone is at that step in the plans, they could give Van's a call and then let the rest of us know what Van's said.
Joe

I would like to revisit this subject which was last addressed a year ago. I am having a devil of a time installing the screw holding the F-12125 Over Rudder Wireway. There seem to be just too many wires, tube and coax's which are bunching up and preventing the screw from engaging. Have completed section 27 rudder pedals and section 31 up to page 31-13 step 7. Wondering if there is any easier way of installing this recalcitrant screw rather then spending time removing the rudder pedals, installing the wireway, bending the aft tab flat, then reinstalling the rudder pedals followed by bending the aft tab back down.

Appreciate any suggestions.

John s/n 317

Do not bend tab

It would be a lot work to remove the rudder assembly. Have you tried making a path through the wire bundle with something like a dull icepick? Or how about grinding a dull point on a hardware store screw and try putting that in first. Then take it out and try the AN screw again. Or sleep on it. Sometimes a difficult task becomes easier the next day.
Joe

I remember having a hard time with this but don't remember exactly how I accomplished it. A suggestion is to put in a longer bolt at first, to compress the bundle, then remove and put in the called-for bolt. Also, proper incantations sometimes help!

Try to divide the wire bundle evenly on both sides of the screw. Then it won't be cocked at an angle when the screw is inserted. Also try to flatten the bundle to reduce it's thickness.

Art Pennanen

I would like to revisit this subject which was last addressed a year ago. I am having a devil of a time installing the screw holding the F-12125 Over Rudder Wireway. There seem to be just too many wires, tube and coax's which are bunching up and preventing the screw from engaging. Have completed section 27 rudder pedals and section 31 up to page 31-13 step 7. Wondering if there is any easier way of installing this recalcitrant screw rather then spending time removing the rudder pedals, installing the wireway, bending the aft tab flat, then reinstalling the rudder pedals followed by bending the aft tab back down.

Appreciate any suggestions.

John s/n 317

Use a longer screw with a hex head. Will then be able to start it with a nutdriver. Cut the shank to length up top after it is installed (though not necessary).

Thinking way back, I still had to drop the pedals due to one of the screw's location. The tube was interfering.

I think I also removed the pedals when I installed mine. It is not really all that difficult to remove them (unless you already have brake fluid in the system!) and then you have clear access to the wire bundle and can make sure you are not pinching wires, etc.

Jeff

31B-25 Step 3

I just did this and also divided the wires into two bundles and dropped the rudder pedals.

Under or Over ?

Can someone tell me why the wires go under the rudder pedal torque tube.

At first I thought it was to be able to remove the torque tubes without removing the wires.

I installed some wires on the bottom of the torque tubes and removing the rudder pedal system is still possible.

Adding wires to the under pedal design in a finished aircraft will be not easy
My view

Joe Dallas

Could easily add another wire race way

My firewall shelf came with a second unused hole on the right side of the F-1235A center pedal block that is symmetrical in positioning to the one the raceway screws into on the left side of the center pedal block. I believe this was used for installing a cushion clamp on very early RV-12?s which had the wires split into two runs on either side of the pedal block.

Since my firewall shelf still has that hole, I installed a nutplate there for insurance. The next time the pedal assembly comes off, will add a second wire raceway and split the wiring run. With all the coax and wires going through the one raceway, it has become way to packed for my liking ? plus it is almost impossible to add wires now with it as tightly packed with wiring as it it is.

I also placed some heat shrink tubing over the threaded portion of the screw that will be in contact with the wires to prevent chafing.

Happy Building,

Back