What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Lighting Kit Wiring Page 40-11

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I very strongly recommend that all RV-12 builders install the wires for the lighting kit while they are putting in all the other tunnel wiring. Even if you don't plan on the lighting kit, put the wires in just in case! It is a real pain running those wires after all the control linkages are in the way.

John, I'm pretty sure the plans called out installing the lighting wires to the fusealage terminals.

Not for interior light

I think John is referring to the wires for the interior eyeball light. These are not a part of the finish kit wiring segment and are installed after the fact. I agree with John that they were a bit difficult to run- I found that the wiring spoon from Stein helped immensely though.

Jeff

Last edited:
John,
I assume your talking about the Eyeball Interior light as the wing lighting is already done in the finishing kit with the rest of the wiring as Jeff stated. How much wire comes with the interior light and what length and size wire should be run? Does this wiring terminate at the connection of the Auto Pilot wires? Is it one wire or two that need to be installed.

I have a lot of white wire identified as M22759/16-18 27478 left over. Can this be used for the light or is it intended for some other use? I'm at a point where it would be easy to install right now.

Art Pennanen

Art,

The instructions specify #22 wire. Two pieces, each 153 inches long. One is the positive power wire, the other is for the ground side. These wires crimp into the butt connectors that are just above the shelf in the instrument area. They follow the same path as all the other wires that run from the instrument compartment all the way back down the tunnel. Make the wires follow the wire that goes to the fuel tank sensor, over to the right side of the airplane at the bottom of the roll bar. Coil up the extra and leave it there for now.

I too have that coil of #18 wire left over. I keep waiting for an instruction to use it! I don't know if there is enough to do two 153" runs from that, but if there is I don't see a problem using it instead of the #22, since it is a heavier wire. Of course that would raise the issue of 100% conformance to the plans.

You could always just order some #22 wire from Spruce.

Either way, run that wire now, you will be glad you did!

John

Back