What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer confusion

rlricks

I am a first timer building a RV-12 and feel the need to prime for corrosion protection since I am on the north Gulf coast. Dupont's A-4114S self-etching primer is available locally. Any input as to whether or not this paint is satisfactory would be appreciated.

There are a zillion threads out there about priming. Do a search. I used NAPA 7220 and it worked good. Made a deal with the local NAPA to buy it by the case.

Primer Confusion

I have been using Marhyde Self Etching primer in a rattle can. This weekend I came by an interesting alternate which may be a little less expensive, easier to use and purchase. It's called Preval Spray Gun. It sprays a wide variety liquids that you can purchase in large quantities, therefore making it less expensive. It can be purchased at Aircraft Spruce.

The guy I talked to recently built an RV-8. He like the fine spray without spatters you can get from a rattle can.

PREVAL SPRAY GUN

Sprays paints, primers, gel coats, lubricating oils, cleaners, zinc chromate, etc. Perfect color matches in minutes. No wires, no hoses-portable and disposable. Sprays up to 16 ounces of any liquid thinned to the same consistency as for heavy spray equipment.

Description Part No. Price Buy
PREVAL COMPLETE SPRAY GUN SET 09-00339 $7.25

PREVAL SPRAY GUN POWER UNIT 09-00340 $5.85

PREVAL SPRAY GUN PROD CONTAINR 09-00341 $1.67

Art Pennanen

I've also been satisfied using the NAPA primer, but the pricing I have gotten has varied greatly between purchases. I chose this primer because it came in a spray can and it is supposed to be the same primer that is on the factory quick-build kits.

I'm applying the primer to all of the inside surfaces, which seems to be more than what most others are doing.

If you haven't figure out yet, there seems to be quite the stigma with even mentioning the 'p' word because opinions vary greatly.

Tom

Suggestions....

I am a first timer building a RV-12 and feel the need to prime for corrosion protection since I am on the north Gulf coast. Dupont's A-4114S self-etching primer is available locally. Any input as to whether or not this paint is satisfactory would be appreciated.

If your local dealer sells Dupont products, chances are he sells Nason products too. Dupont bought Nason a few years ago. Nason sells an epoxy primer at a lower cost that works quite well. Once you select a vendor, remain with his product line throughout the painting process to avoid complications and/or mismatch.

Always read the documentation that comes with the product and by all means, wear a forced air respirator and good gloves. The chemicals in these products are truly hazardous to your health.

Make sure your workshop is properly vented meaning "forced air" vented.

Shaker cans are usually a lot more expensive than buying in bulk and no shaker can tip will ever match the quality of a Devilbiss or Fineline HVLP Gun.

Back