VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Default Prop balancing Aces or DynaVibe

I'm getting ready to install a new prop and the install manual recommends dynamic balancing before first flight.
I quick search shows Aces 1015 ProBalancer Sport and Dynavibe Classic in my price range. Meaning sub 2K instead of 5K+.
Any opinions good or bad or other options?
Or things I haven't thought of??
Thanks
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM

I have used a DynaVibe Classic. It was easy to use, after I made a mount to fit the engine, according to their instructions.
I think you should check around to see if someone local to you has one (either brand) that you can use-rent-borrow or meet with to use together so he (she?) can play with their toy...
Unless you plan to change props on a regular basis...then, same as above, but use the experience to buy the best one for you.
After balancing props with pieces of tape and test flying, the DynaVibe was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZ0fkAuoIU
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)

Last edited by SHIPCHIEF : 11-09-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIPCHIEF View Post
I have used a DynaVibe Classic. It was easy to use, after I made a mount to fit the engine, according to their instructions.
I think you should check around to see if someone local to you has one (either brand) that you can use-rent-borrow or meet with to use together so he (she?) can play with their toy...
Unless you plan to change props on a regular basis...then, same as above, but use the experience to buy the best one for you.
After balancing props with pieces of tape and test flying, the DynaVibe was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZ0fkAuoIU
Scott, Thanks for your thoughts.
We don't have one local, FBO / shop doesn't have one and no EAA chapter close. There are guys that come and do it but they get 200+ to do one. There are two of us RV-6 guys in our hangar, so thinking after paying for 2 balances twice.......we would be half way to owning our own equipment and setting our own schedules.
We have had them done in years past and it looked like voodoo or magic and the operator always had a puzzled or questioning level of confidence so I thought this could be another learning experiance for me. Honestly, the more I read the FAQ's and manuals I see how an inexperianced or infrequent user could be unsure about the process or readings....
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Years ago I "rented" a Dynavibe from someone on this forum, though I can not remember who. He shipped it to me and after use I shipped it back. It was pretty easy to use following the printed instructions the Dynavibe came with. My buddy showed up in his Cozy MKIV we built, 3 blade MT prop. We did that plane and my old C-152 2 blade Sensenich in a couple hours with very satisfactory results.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 11-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Default + 1

This is a common problem. I talked to the guys from Dynavibe up at KOSH this year and asked the question of we can't seem to find a person out in the field that knows or seems to know how to do a good job with their boxes. I wanted to take our little 8 down to them and let the factory do a balance but was told they don't do any. That kind of shocked me, but the guys were very nice and told us that they knew it was one of those things that was a lack of currency. I was told that most of the guys at FBO's or that have a unit of any-kind did not get to drag them out but a few times a year if that much and then have to rethink how they need to use them. We too did not want to buy a unit and not use it but a few times at most. The only thing we could think of was to get a few names from the factory and look to one of those as a start. That too did not go so well. I have looked for a good prop shop that does this kind of service on the ramp all the time for GA aircraft, but have not found one close to us. Luckily we have a light wood and carbon prop that dose not seem to have a lot of vibration at flight speeds along with a very well balanced engine.
Keep us posted as you are not that far north of our home base. Check your P.M. Thanks, Yours as always, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM

I use an Aces balancer, an older more pro version, and it has worked perfect all the years I've balanced props. I haven't used a Dynavibe so no input there. There's not much involved with balancer's, just an accelerometer and photocell you attach to the top on the engine, a piece of reflective tape to the prop, connect the computer, enter the info and start it up. The computer does the work. It takes a little learning and a bit of thinking but they aren't hard to use. One bonus is finding problems that aren't from the prop.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Default prop balance

The Aces 1015 ProBalancer Sport says it gives you a solution to the balance.
I've used the Aces 2020 a bunch and the solution works very well. Usually 3-4 runs and you can "nail it". Run the engine, get a baseline, then you usually add a test weight, location and weight given by the "box". 2nd run the box see the results then gives you a new solution, weight and location. 3rd run and you are there, or maybe one more run to fine tune it. Split the weights it you get too many washer on one spots (3-4). I made up a little parts box with a bunch of different washers, nuts, AN4 bolts. I would take less than 1 hour to do, not counting remove/install cowling. Looking AFT at the prop, with the reflective tape at the top and prop is vertical that hole is 0 degrees. The next hole is 30, going CW, the next hole is 60, then you just figure out the location, this always seems to be a area of confusion. (holes in lyc flywheel) Good luck report back on your results.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Purchased and Used the Aces 1015 sport that worked very well. You do need some accessory items to support that ie small electronic scale, Clamps, nuts,bolts and washers. Rechargable batteries and charger. Also the sensors will need a varity of connection hardware. I would say you could prob could invest another 750 for accessories. Be careful that you dont exceed that $200 fair price with your investment unless you want to get into the business. I later sold the 1015. FYI. but it was fun learning how its done.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 AM

Default Many Thanks

Thanks guys for all the info.
My conversation with our FBO AP/IA guy prompted him to purchase the ACES 1015 Sport. I had a conversation with him about me helping defer the costs for unfettered use of it. We will see how it goes, but it looks like I have a solution. All your responses help show these units were a viable solution, Thanks Again.....
Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Why was the choice for the Aces rather than the DynaVibe?

Dave