What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let's talk wing options

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi Group,

Now that my wing kit is ordered, I was hoping to get more information on what is included with the wing kit and what is an option. The wing kit order form doesn't have any available options listed like other vans models. It would be great to have all the options purchased and delivered by the time the wing kit shows up. I didn't see a similar thread here so maybe this would be a good time to talk about it.

Also if I could get some info on what others are doing, where you are buying, etc. Off the top of my head, here is what I know I want. Please chime in if I have forgotten something.

Electric flaps (is this standard and included?)
Electric aileron trim
2 axis auto pilot (wing servos)
Heated pitot
Assuming Dynon, AOA
Nav/Strobe/Landing-Taxi
Fuel senders (capacitive vs float)
corrosion prevention
Anything else?

Obviously one would not want to button up a wing completely unless all the options were installed.

Thanks!

Not obvious

If it is like the -10, the autopilot servo, and aileron trim, can be done after the fact without too much difficulty.

Choose your wing wiring conduit early. I have one wing done, and one that is about ready to close up and they have the ribbed or corrugated tubing, not the best choice. Wish I went with PEX or thin walled PVC like many people have but now the holes are drilled out to .812 and none of the better options will fit without drilling the holes to 1 inch and I don't think they are alllowed to be that big.

Choose your wing wiring conduit early. I have one wing done, and one that is about ready to close up and they have the ribbed or corrugated tubing, not the best choice. Wish I went with PEX or thin walled PVC like many people have but now the holes are drilled out to .812 and none of the better options will fit without drilling the holes to 1 inch and I don't think they are alllowed to be that big.

When I look ahead at the plans I was emailed, I show the use of bushings for wires and not conduit. I notice you are building an RV7 and I believe it doesn't come with a wiring harness. I'm a newb to building and I won't have a wing kit for a few weeks so anything helpful you can pass along! Thanks.

Ok, would it be fair to say this-

1.) Use holes with bushings to run wires prior to the wing being buttoned up.
2.) Run the widest conduit approved with a pull string for things that may come after buttoning up the wings that haven't been thought of yet?

Thanks

I just started building to plans without worrying too much about most of those things. You'll want to put off nearly every decision avionics related as long as you can to take advantage of the fast development pace on those items. LEDs are getting cheaper and better too so I'm waiting on lighting decisions as long as I can

conduit is good

Hi Tom,
I used a standard PEX/water line conduit on my -9 so I could easily drop a nut with a string down the length. You will need to enlarge the rib holes before you rivet them in place. Just plan what you want to use ahead of time so you can enlarge the tooling holes accordingly. As fast as things are changing, it's hard to know what wires to run, so conduit is the best route. Good luck!

Hi group, I spent a little time on Dynon's website and found the following which might be helpful to wing builders. At this point in time, although I have plenty of time to decide still as I have not even received the wings, I think I like the direction of Dynon and their product line.

RV-7/8/10 Autopilot Roll Kit Installation Instructions
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...ilot/RV7,8,10 Roll Kit Instructions_Rev_F.pdf

RV-6/7/9 Autopilot Pitch Installation Instructions
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...ilot/RV6,7,9_Pitch_Kit_Instructions_Rev_F.pdf

Probably obsolete - Legacy RV-10 Autopilot Pitch Installation Instructions for kits that include a conventional AP servo. This is most RV-10 Pitch kits shipped before 10/1011
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo.../Legacy_RV10_Pitch_Kit_Instructions_Rev_F.pdf

RV-10 Autopilot Pitch Installation Instructions for kits that include an SV42T "linear actuator/torque enhanced" servo
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...RV10_Pitch_Kit_with_LA_Instructions_Rev_D.pdf

Heated AOA/Pitot Probe Installation Guide
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...OA_Pitot_Probe_Installation_Guide_-_Rev_B.pdf

There are more guides located here.
http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html

If you go with the Dynon roll servo install kit, check the main bracket for proper hole placement. On mine, the pivot bolt hole is about 1/16" inboard of the centerline between the two flange attach holes; just enough that it causes the bellcrank to bind wehn the pivot bolt is torqued (YES, i do have sufficient clearance between the bellcrank and the brackets. I think the misalignment is causing the bolt to bend slightly). Dynon has confirmed that there is a problem, but after almost two weeks now I'm still waiting on them to say what they're going to do about it.

If you go with the Dynon roll servo install kit, check the main bracket for proper hole placement. On mine, the pivot bolt hole is about 1/16" inboard of the centerline between the two flange attach holes; just enough that it causes the bellcrank to bind wehn the pivot bolt is torqued (YES, i do have sufficient clearance between the bellcrank and the brackets. I think the misalignment is causing the bolt to bend slightly). Dynon has confirmed that there is a problem, but after almost two weeks now I'm still waiting on them to say what they're going to do about it.

Thanks for the tip. I've made a posting over there to see if anyone is currently installing on the 14. Can't imagine I will get any response in their forums that I wouldn't already get here.

Hi Group,

I sent the following to Sterling @ Vans and he responded.

The 14 does have the same AP roll servo as the RV-10 and does have the appropriate wiring
in the harnesses already.

Sterling

On 7 May 2013 at 13:02, Tom Beiser wrote:

>
> Thanks Sterling.
>
> Hey, on a side note, we met briefly out at sun-n-fun a few weeks ago. I believe the RV14 had the
> skyview system in right? If so, does it also have the autopilot? I was thinking about ordering the
> dynon roll servo and AOA/heated pitot now for my wing kit, however there is not one specifically
> listed for the 14 but there is for the 10. If the prototype has the dynon wing roll servo, I was
> wondering if you used the servo for the 10 and if the included wiring harness has provisions for it
> or not.
>
> Thanks again.
> Tom Beiser​

And this as well.

Same as the 10

On 8 May 2013 at 9:56, Tom Beiser wrote:

>
> Helpful, thanks!
>
> Could I bug you one more time on electric roll trim? What is the 14 using?
>
> Tom​

Hi Group, have a few more questions.

So the dynon autopilot roll servo mounts in the wing.

What about roll trim? Does the 14 come with manual roll trim in the kit? If you want to replace that with electric trim, where does that mount (I think some models in the fuse) and who makes the roll trim?

Thanks

Back