- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 AM

Default Securing Main Wheel Axle Extension Screws

How are people securing the main wheel fairing axle extension screw?

The position of the screw is right at the step between the front and rear halves of the fairing. Should I create the countersink with these together and then just loctite the screw in place? or perhaps make the countersink deep enough in the rear part so that the front part of the fairing overlaps half of the screw head.

I guess I am not confident the screw will stay in place by just torquing it down as the fairing supports are not that rigid.

I could not find any good pictures or descriptions showing what others have done here.

Thanks,
Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Screw

I don't have the plans with me but that is a special screw that is self retaining. It has a strip of pvc in the threads. Yes countersink with the halves together and go slow. You have to countersink in line with the extension and not the pant.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly

Last edited by Electrogunner : 11-16-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I moved the pant forward just a bit, so the mount sat fully in the rear portion,

Embedded a large area washer in the pant to take the compression load and prevent wear, also embedded a short piece of tubing spacer in the fiberglass to take the compression of the screw when tightened.

When I attached the standoff to the axle nut, I used a large area washer both inside the nut, and outside between the standoff and the nut. Longer bolt needed of course. Installed with red Locktite, then drilled through the standoff and bolt and inserted a 1/16" roll pin. Never had an issue with the standoff coming loose.

Also, see post 14 of this thread. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=68674

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
I don't have the plans with me but that is a special screw that is self retaining. It has a strip of pvc in the threads. Yes countersink with the halves together and go slow. You have to countersink perpendicular to the extension and not the pant.
Ahh Ok, I didn't realize that. I am using the Aircraft Specialty axle extensions and the included screws do not have that feature. I will have to find the VANs screws in my inventory and see if I can use them.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM

I think the Vans part number may be MS24693C296