- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Default 220V

It seemed to me when looking into these that all of them in the $600-700 range were nearly identical. CFM specs were about the same given a "fudge factor".

I ended up with an Air America (from Devilbliss), 240v, 60 gallon single stage. Works fantastic. The only time I give it a workout is using the air drill or die grinder. It keeps up just fine.

You can probably find one during black friday season for at least $100 off. Save your money and get that kit!

Welcome to the build, your going to love it.
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2018 Dues Paid
Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Default 5CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Air guns only need continuous air if you're spraying continuously. You make passes with the gun, letting off the air between passes and probably reducing the continuous need to 75% of the stated value. Then, you need to reposition yourself, reposition the work, etc on a fairly frequent basis, again reducing the need for air.

Plenty of people have built and painted RV's with 5CFM compressors with 20 gallon tanks. Would a bigger compressor help? Sure, but at a cost difference that runs in the hundreds (maybe a thousand) dollars, the lower capacity compressor is a good value for most builders.

Sez the guy who just finished priming his cowl using compressed air from his 24 year old 5 CFM/20 gallon Craftsman compressor..
I have the same one. Primed everything inside and painted interior parts. Personally, I rarely use the die grinder. It's a horrible air hog. Next to the HVLP, the drill is next biggest air user. I tend to grab the cordless because I don't have to mess with air hoses.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I have the 20 gallon upright Ingersoll Rand and it's reliable and quiet, it was around $550 from Northern Tool. Very happy with the product.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5221_200375221
I have the same one as this; works great. Got it for $500 ish on sale.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 11-17-2018, 07:47 AM

I cant say this for sure, but my gut feel is that IR is the only compressor seller that actually makes their compressors, not a co that slaps their name on something from China......

I have an IR SS3 60gal vertical 240V. I looked at the 5, but I tapped off my dryer 30A dryer circuit and figured it would pop the breaker, where as I knew the 3hp motor wouldnt. Did want to go big and have to send it back. As it is, the SS3 works fine for me for all my car, airplane, whatever work. Whatever you get, make sure you dont stuff it up against a wall - all the pumps need their cooling air.....
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 11-17-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt View Post
First off, thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it.

jacoby: 60 Gallon IR SS5L5
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...mpressor?rfk=1
Whatever you do, do NOT do this. The pump design is fundamentally flawed (head gasket failures). I still have one of these at my shop that kinda' works but it terribly annoying. I'll be getting rid of it (about 10yrs old) as soon as I get around to doing something different.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:19 AM

If there is a commercial compressor builder in your area, talk with them. I had mine built up with an "American Compressor" pump and 80 gallon vertical tank while I was building my -6 in 1989. Still runs perfectly today. I wouldn't have anything but 2-stage. You can carry on a conversation standing next to it. I drain the tank daily and change the oil once a year. I typically work on my airplanes, cars, tractors, and just general "stuff".
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Alex, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

The compressor you linked is very close to what I have--------and mine is close to 20 years old and has been totally reliable and has never failed to perform all I need it for.

If you can afford it, and you will still be able to justify it after the build, my $0.02 says go for it.
+1 Highly recommended. I have the 5 hp version and have abused it for many years (25). I burned up the motor, (blowing out my irrigation system), blew a head gasket, and fractured the cooling line between stages. It was limited to 5 starts per hour. I exceeded that and toasted the starter windings. Still, highly recommended. You should be able to find the 5hp less that $2k, mine was around $1k but have seen them lately just over that. The 7.5 hp would be bullet proof, and around $2k.

Except for the irrigation thing (I still do it) it will paint and sandblast all day.

EDIT: Ahhh here it is northern tool. $1400 - 7.5hp, 80g gal $2100 - free shipping.

This means a local distributor can sell it pretty close, or less, to you.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18

Last edited by BillL : 11-17-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I have the 20 gallon upright Ingersoll Rand and it's reliable and quiet, it was around $550 from Northern Tool. Very happy with the product.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5221_200375221
I have the same and it has been fine so far. Donít forget the thread tape when attaching hoses. I learned this the hard way.