Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM

Also building an RV-10. I just bought the cheapest 21 gal compressor available from Home Depot. For me, this is strictly for the plane since I most likely won't have a use for it afterwards. It's been pretty decent for me so far. It'll kick on constantly when I use a pneumatic drill, but I seldom do. I have a very good electric drill that I use. It's more than enough for riveting and dimpling, and I spent another $200 on a nice noise cancelling headset for when it does kick on. No regrets so far.

Oh, and I don't plan to paint myself so that wasn't a consideration. Priming is done via rattle can.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 AM

I have the 20 gallon upright Ingersoll Rand and it's reliable and quiet, it was around $550 from Northern Tool. Very happy with the product.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5221_200375221
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM

If you are willing to spend $2k you might want to compare the 80gal "Quincy". The motor runs at lower rpm than most other brands which makes it quieter. My $.02

RV-3B Flying
Wagabond Flying
Wittman Tailwind in progress
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 AM

I have a Quincy two stage and it is very good but way more than you need. A single stage is much less cost and will supply all the air for a RV project needed. Get a big tank, about 5hp, single stage and you will b more than set. Put it in a little out building outside your shop so you won’t listen to it running.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM

I think you need to slow down a bit and figure out what you're going to use it for before looking. Look at the tools you're buying and the CFM requirements. Tank size doesn't matter much.

If you are just going to use it for riveting, then any of the small compressors will do. Air drill? Step up a bit or you'll be waiting. Painting the whole plane? Get a big one that will match the CFM of your sprayer.

I'd look for something quiet. Oiled or something like the California Air Ultra Quiet (which do live up to their name).

The large uprights are.. well.. large and heavy and not portable at all. They live where you set them. So you end up adding plumbing to work around that, which leads to additional cost. You'll need to buy a drier and fittings and hoses either way though.

I don't see a need for a two stage honestly. I have never needed the extra PSI and when I bought my compressor the single stage put out more CFM.

That said, I have the IR SS5L5 and do love it. When I bought it I was using air tools for nearly everything. It's run for a good 15 years and has never run out of air on me, even when I was spraying a whole car in clear. It has hundreds of hours on it. I've run two air sanders at once with it. It is loud enough to be (barely) heard through the whole house when it runs.

It unfortunately got dropped by the movers and cracked the motor end bell but still runs.

Be warned that IR isn't what it used to be. I've seen (and used) newer versions of the compressors and they aren't the same as what I have. They have fallen victim to cost cutting. They are serviceable but there are issues with motor life and the pressure switch.

I also have an older Bostitch that can run the smaller stuff just fine with a bit of waiting.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Well, one thing is for sure... some questions are generally considered to be settled science, and you won't get much in the way of differing opinions. It's the same with which primer to use, whether to prime, style of canopy, and the correct position of the third wheel.

I think I paid about $450-ish for my 30 gallon from Northern Tool. Oiled, belt driven, upright. It can be wired for either 110 or 220. It appears to be identical to models found at Home Depot, Lowes, and various other places under several brand names. It's been more than adequate for everything except running a die grinder, and I do have to wait for it to refill when blowing out my sprinkler system.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF
Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 AM

I have a $250 24gal Porter Cable that does the job just fine from Tractor Supply. Its an oiled, single stage direct drive so its on the loud side.

If I were to do-over I'd be looking for a 30 gal upright model with a belt-driven, low RPM 2 stage pump.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM

#1 - The air compressor you listed requires 220V. Do you have 220 available in your workshop? Any 220V compressor should be fine, while many 110V compressors will not. Get the oil type if you can (quiet and reliable).

#2 - The air compressor you listed is a very high end compressor. If you can afford it, go for it. I chose to use a less expensive option... I have this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...1?cm_vc=-10005 Dewalt 220V compressor that is at Tractor Supply for less than $500 (220V, 11.5scfm at 90 psi) and it is much more than needed to build multiple airplanes.

This Dewalt keeps up 100% with sandblasting, painting, inline sander, and any air tool that I have used.
The $2000 compressor could keep up with several workstations, several employees using several air tools at one time. Do you NEED that type of compressor?

I say try one for $500, order your kit and start building.

Last edited by Andrew Anunson : 11-16-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
It's been more than adequate for everything except running a die grinder, and I do have to wait for it to refill when blowing out my sprinkler system.

Ha, that was a head scratcher for a minute. Then I remembered where I grew up (about 100 miles north of you), and the whole idea of specific chores that are done in the fall came rushing back. Its been 35 years since I have dealt with old man winter.

To the OP. Unless you are a serious do it your selfer and plan on doing much more when the 10 is over. Than that compressor you linked to is way overkill. You can get one for less than half the cost that will be more than sufficient. The IR garage model bkervaski linked from Northern tool is probably your best value, AND will still be more than enough air unless you are doing your own paint job. IMHO
Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 AM

I have owned that exact IR 2 stage, 5 HP compressor for over 30 years. It has not missed a beat and is very quiet. I run a small aircraft restoration hangar and have a full sized spray booth and that compressor works great for my application. It might be overkill to build one aircraft, but you will be able to hand it down to great grandchildren because it will last forever!

Cheers,

Phil