- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Yes, but surely this will seal...

I would expect so. However, the manufacturer recommends a minimum or optimum amount of compression for a reason (can't recall the exact percentage), so I wouldn't simply trust the fact that it "looks like it will seal."

Larry
Old 11-15-2018, 03:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I would expect so. However, the manufacturer recommends a minimum or optimum amount of compression for a reason (can't recall the exact percentage), so I wouldn't simply trust the fact that it "looks like it will seal."

Larry
Good point on data....

First one I found was a Grainger identical part -

Although many mistakenly believe that a higher compression rate results in a stronger hold, our bulbs are designed and engineered to work best at 25-40% compression of its original height, with 25% being optimum. If you compress it more than that, its life and serviceability will be limited. When building your part, be sure to choose the bulb size that correlates to a 25% compression rate for your application.

https://vimeo.com/28068686

https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extru...rim-seal/hatch

I can't seem to find a manufacture's detailed data sheet for the actual McMaster product.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Good point on data....

First one I found was a Grainger identical part -

Although many mistakenly believe that a higher compression rate results in a stronger hold, our bulbs are designed and engineered to work best at 25-40% compression of its original height, with 25% being optimum. If you compress it more than that, its life and serviceability will be limited. When building your part, be sure to choose the bulb size that correlates to a 25% compression rate for your application.

https://vimeo.com/28068686

https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extru...rim-seal/hatch

I can't seem to find a manufacture's detailed data sheet for the actual McMaster product.
Well I am unhappily a part of the "Mistakenly believe" crowd. I would guess our seals are pretty similar if using the same type if foam EPDM. However, the Grainger seals look more oval than round, which may impact the desired compression level, as the round seals need more compression to become oval.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 11-15-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Well I am unhappily a part of the "Mistakenly believe" crowd. I would guess our seals are pretty similar if using the same type if foam EPDM. However, the Grainger seals look more oval than round, which may impact the desired compression level, as the round seals need more compression to become oval.

Larry
The catalog pics show the bulb as being quite round, but I would like to see an actual spec. sheet or application note for the McMaster product.

https://www.trimlok.com/secure/conte...i+10132016.pdf
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM

FWIW, Gil, and as detailed in another thread, I was shocked to find the 1/4" gap I had created was not enough to allow the door to close with the 3/8" bulb seal. Pin engagement was not happening no matter how I pushed. I took the gap wider, to .30" and still was not able to close the door.

Rather than grind further, which no doubt would have eventually allowed the door to close, I replaced the 3/8" bulb seal with a 9/32" bulb - 3/16" channel width seal. Perfect. I only have to add thickness to the door edges in a few spots because the narrower channel grips well to the thinner doorway edges that are left after all that grinding I did.

I don't know yet how well it will seal at the compression that's occurring, but I guess if I hear wind noise I can go back to the 3/8" seal or, perhaps more easily, add thickness to the door inner surface to increase the bulb compression of the smaller seal I went with. At this point I'm just delighted my doors finally close with a seal in place - and that without undue torque on the handle.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Default rear hinge gap

I don't know about the rest of you but living here in VT cabin heat can be an issue during winter. So I have spend at little bit of time looking for leaks. The biggest flow outflow of air for me is around the door seal near the rear door hinge. Because of the cut out required due to the hydraulic piston and hinge I am not getting a good seal with my Mcmastercard seal. I tried putting a piece of fiberglass across this area but interference with the piston resulted in me grinding/sanding a way a path for the piston and the recent cold spell has demonstrated yes I am still getting pretty good flow.

But I like the idea of putting the gasket on the door in that area. I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for the idea.
~150hrs flying
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM

I ended up with around a 25% compression. The seal works fine with only that amount. I have been flying for 6 years and 900 hours and the seals still look new. You will never get the doors to close if you try to over compress the seal, I tried.....

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/24S2E8J]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/24S2DWS]
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 11-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
I ended up with around a 25% compression. The seal works fine with only that amount. I have been flying for 6 years and 900 hours and the seals still look new. You will never get the doors to close if you try to over compress the seal, I tried.....
Bill, did that work out to about a 5/16 inch gap?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Bill, did that work out to about a 5/16 inch gap?
The base below the bulb is about .075", so 25% compression of the 3/8 bulb should net a .360" gap.

The 9/32" bulb would net about .280." Given that I followed other advise and set my gap at 1/4" maybe I will swap the 3/8 bulb for the 9/32 variety.

I am a bit concerned that my bulb came out of the package compressed a bit from round. if that is the norm, then we need a bit more compression to account for that.

Larry
Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
The base below the bulb is about .075", so 25% compression of the 3/8 bulb should net a .360" gap.

The 9/32" bulb would net about .280." Given that I followed other advise and set my gap at 1/4" maybe I will swap the 3/8 bulb for the 9/32 variety.

I am a bit concerned that my bulb came out of the package compressed a bit from round. if that is the norm, then we need a bit more compression to account for that.

Larry
Since I'm still sanding and making dust so I can use the just under 5/16 dimension. I have the very lumpy green cabin cover so keeping the 1/4 edge thickness is going to take quite a bit of work anyway.

With your numbers, a 40% compression of the 3/8 bulb gives a 0.300 gap, just under the 0.3125 (aka 5/16) guess I made.

I think I'll simply aim for a 0.300 gap with my existing seal.