What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shoulder harness cable confusion

SeanB

Well Known Member
Installing the two shoulder harness steel cables from the tailcone. One side tightens to torque at the -4 bolt and is firm, and the clevis can still rotate with moderate force. The other side goes to torque and is still loose. I checked and believe I?ve run out of threads and am bottoming out on the grip of the bolt. Verified all hardware matches on both sides, so do not understand how this is possible.

Should these cables be allowed to move freely, or should they remain in fixed position?

My plan is to add another washer to each bolt. Leaves enough thread.

Thank you!

Should these cables be allowed to move freely, or should they remain in fixed position?

It is not a requirement that they do, but they will have to be with the kit supplied hardware unless you fit spacer washers.

If the clevis is being compressed together when fully torquing the bolt it could actually be reducing the strength slightly because of the bend preload.

This one of the few places on an RV that it is acceptable to use a plain nut but leave the bolt free to rotate (there will be no rotation induced because the cable does not move).

RV8 rear seat shoulder straps

Anyone know how this should be done in an RV8? Do the straps go all the way back to the mounting tab? I couldn't find any details in the plans or anyone's blog.

Back