VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 PM

I wish I had known of this system and used it during the build, highly recommended. When doing it you THINK you can recall it all, but when you turn 81 you cannot. Also, the next owner will thank you for doing it also. SO easy to use also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
+1 for this method. Every wire in my plane has a heatshrinked label on both ends. A year or two years later, I will know what wire is.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:04 AM

Also using a dymo with heat shrink labels, very happy with this solution
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 AM

Default heat shrink labels

I also use the 6mm dymo heat shrink labels. I hand write on the other side the same thing as is printed by the label maker. Unfortunately it only prints on one side.

I also use some heat shrink tube and write on it with a very fine point permanent marker when I run out of heat shrink labels.

Both methods seem to work fine.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:12 AM

Three points I would like to underscore that already have been mentioned here:
1. Stick to a standardized wire color code
2. Clearly label each end of all wires
3. Document, document, document

40+ years in the industrial controls world has taught me that even though you think you will remember everything, you don't. Also you will not be the only one working on the wiring (resale value?). There's not much worse that laying on your back bent like a pretzel, in the dark, when its cold, at 60+ years old, with bi-focals trying to trace some wire down. Knowing a pin number is nice but to confirm a wire without disassembling a connector can be important too.

Here is the label maker I have been using and am vey pleased with it. The heat shrink tube labels are a bit pricey but worth it to me. Print them in a single series then cut them to save material. If you print them separately the device will index and waste material.

Brady BMP21

Brady Heat Shrink Sleeves

Michigan
RV-7
Cessna 140
Old 10-24-2018, 07:15 AM

I bought one of these after much research:

https://labelworks.epson.com/product/lw-px900/

Pricey, but very worth it. Every wire in the upgraded system is labeled with heat shrink tube. It is very easy to do, easy to read and makes things more serviceable down the road.

Plus you can use the labeler for all kinds of other things around the house and hangar!
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
N329TS (had it, lost it, looking for new number)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM

When I added an EIS and reconfigured my panel I planned to label at both ends using what I had already (3mm black on white labels covered by clear heat shrink). As I got into the work, I found a detailed wiring diagram coupled with multi-colored wires accomplished most of what I needed. One end of a harness fixed the wires in a connector. I did then label the other end to pull it to the other connector, usually leaving those labels in place. Labels were definitely nice at the fuse block and the ground block, where all wires were the same color.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Labels

I used a label maker with a small font and put a pc of clear heat shrink over it. I already had a label maker and the clear heat shrink is cheap.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM

Default + 1 here too.

Yep we do the same. The little Stick-Up kits with 10 or 12 colors in them. We cut a small strip the color we like about 3/16" wide, mark what we wish it to be called on the strip, stick it to the wire and then use clear heat shrink over that. A fine gel pin works best. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 10-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
I used a label maker with a small font and put a pc of clear heat shrink over it. I already had a label maker and the clear heat shrink is cheap.
Same here. I didn't pay anything for the label maker, just bought some inexpensive clear heatshrink. However, I think if I had to buy a labeler anyway (and I'd definitely recommend one), I'd go ahead and spring for one that prints on the shrink itself. Saves a couple of steps and TONS of little while sticky-backer-bits all over the cabin!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I'm planning that as well but never occurred to use colored paper. Great idea. Thanks.
Sorry, I used colored wires, not colored labels. However, if you think it's a great idea I'll take credit for it!
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2018