What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Off hand question?

Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
We are looking at picking up a new fire exstinguisher and ran across a new type we had not known before. Our racing car friends are now using a new formula of Halon. It is Called Halotron, and has a liquid charge in it. We are not chemist and I would like to see if anyone knows if this is an OK kind of type of formula to use in our little RV's, just like the "H-3" Halon units. What is every one hearing on these race car units that or on the market now?
Thanks for the time, yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Halotron is OK for aviation. We're incorporating it into our American Airlines fleets. Putting it simply, Halotron is just like Halon, but it's less corrosive on electronics, circuit cards, etc., so you'll do less damage to your cockpit "stuff" if you discharge it in the cockpit. Remember, though, that it extinguishes fire by displacing oxygen. You'll need a source of fresh air or O2 for yourself very soon after using the fire bottle.

Many years ago, I was present in a large central computer room when they did a test dump of the halon system. They assured us it was not a health problem. But I would not do it today. It is a heavy gas and made breathing a little more difficult. But it does not work by displacing O2. Rather it interrupts the very complex chemistry of combustion.

Halotron goes back to the early to mid 1990's. 1994 is the year according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). The FAA approved it for aircraft in 1995.

It is considered somewhat less effective than Halon.

In aircraft fire trucks Argon gas is used to pressurize the tank and act as a propellant.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys. Sounds like these round track race fire bottles will be a good fit to an RV, and at less than half the cost. Not a bad try. Yours, as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Back