What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bearing binding

caapt

Well Known Member
2 of my 4 aileron bearings are binding. Anyone know what I did wrong? Is some binding acceptable? Is there a trick to inserting th bearing?

yes, they were hard to push in

used a vice and the sockets for one. mallet and sockets on the others. I suspect it should not have been that hard. I'm going to start over with the bearings, but I would like to know where I went wrong... I would like to only repeat the process once :(

Double check that the bearings move freely. My empennage and wings are pretty old, and when I mounted them up they had seized up pretty good. Some LPS-2 and a long AN3 bolt through them(for leverage to wiggle them around) and they freed right up.

used a vice and the sockets for one. mallet and sockets on the others. I suspect it should not have been that hard. I'm going to start over with the bearings, but I would like to know where I went wrong... I would like to only repeat the process once :(

Is it safe to assume you only pressed on the outer race during installation?

yes

There may have been slippage, but I tried to keep the socket centered on the bearing.

I think I found the problem

I took the brackets apart. I straightened the brackets again and they seem ok now. Thanks for the advice.

Back