Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Like Bob, Mike, Steve and Alex, I am anxiously awaiting my Outbound which should be soon. Last June my wife and I were traveling the country and decided to stop at Rans to have a look. I was able to fly both the Rotax powered Outbound and the Raven fitted with the Outbound wings and a Titan 340. The Rotax Outbound was a perfect gentleman in every regard. It’s control forces and harmony were unforgettable. It’s just too slow for my liking. On the other hand, the Titan powered Raven is an aspiring beast. It checked all my boxes. A month later I inked a deal at Oshkosh. I plan on using a Barrett Precision IO360. They are going to offer a slightly wider cowling to use the 360.
Comparing the 12 with the Outbound is the apple and orange exercise. 12’s are great, I’ve built 2 so far and loved them both. The Outbound has a vne of 215 mph and useful load of 800+ lbs. It’s cockpit and baggage compartment are huge. The day Randy and I were flying, the sock was straight out at Hays Municipal and both handled the wind beautifully. I would describe it as a two seat Cessna 180 with a stick. Hard to get much better than that. I understand they are selling like hot cakes.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)

Last edited by Dave12 : 11-15-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHeatwole View Post
We have 6 years and a couple hundred hours on our Rv12 with a Jabiru 3300 and love it, great little plane, however we are waiting on our S21 kit to ship anytime this month. Rans has done a great job on the fit and finish of the plane from what we have seen. Great attention to detail from the molded plastic parts all over the plane to little things like little rubber stoppers where the door swings up and hits the wing. We love the 12 but the 21 should do everything the Rv does but better on the grass strip we now fly out of.
Are you going tricycle or tail dragger?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
Right now that is still up in the air... no pun intended.

I want to put the S21 on floats, so that will definitely affect the decision and might cause me to go a different direction than if I was going on wheels.

If money were no object, I think that the 915 will be an awesome match for this aircraft.

I am looking at the potential of the Titan 370 engine for the extra power and a gross weight of around 2000 lbs on floats.

It will be fun to start this project and also to see what engines others end up deciding to use. My guess is that there will be a lot of variations and customizations as builders start the firewall forward kits.
So Steve, am I seeing a real nice CNC bent set of fuel lines becoming available to replace the flexible lines for the outbound?
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM

I started my RV-12 in 2014. At the time it was my best option for my needs, It was a straightforward build and an easy and fun airplane to fly. But if the Outbound would have been available at the time, I would’ve built it instead.

The RV 12 is a fun low and slow airplane. But if you are looking for low and slow, I think the Outbound is a better option. If Vans would enter the high wing taildragger market, I would probably feel differently. But they do not seem to have an interest in doing so.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardle7 View Post
The RV 12 is a fun low and slow airplane.
I flew two days ago - solo with ten gallons fuel. Initial climb was 1300fpm. OAT was 20F and I saw 143mph IAS at 3000msl @ 5400rpm. Not much wind so I did a few compass runs to verify speed with GPS. Engine makes more power with cold dense air...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
So Steve, am I seeing a real nice CNC bent set of fuel lines becoming available to replace the flexible lines for the outbound?
In short.... YES. As we are doing with the RV series of aircraft, we are very excited about to opportunity to work with other S21 builders to prototype and develop optional aftermarket kits that help make builders' lives easier!

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Default Taildragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
Are you going tricycle or tail dragger?
Taildragger. We built and fly a Just Superstol so we are used to having our nose up in the air.