What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Testing Lights

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all - i'm getting close to finishing my wings and would like to test the lights, any idea how I can do that?

Ideally it would be great to test from the Blue connectors on the wing ribs to the lights so all the connectors/wiring is hit.

Yep - you know all those pesky rivet mandrels......

Well, if you fabricate a wander lead with one as a probe for pos and one for earth, and use your Odyssey battery, you can easily test all the various light permutations apart from wig/wag.

They are very bright !

Hi all - i'm getting close to finishing my wings and would like to test the lights, any idea how I can do that?

Ideally it would be great to test from the Blue connectors on the wing ribs to the lights so all the connectors/wiring is hit.

I bought a set of the blue connectors and the appropriate pins from Vans, then several meters of wire from a local electronics store. I fabricated an umbilical cord that was long enough to run from either side of the fuselage to the wing storage rack and was able to test the landing light, Nav/Strobe lights and the stall warning switch very easily. It came in handy again a year later when the L strobe stopped working.

I just ran pin1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin2, etc. Weave 3 wires at a time to keep them together. (You'll need a string to be the 3rd 'wire' for wires 7 & 8) and then weave those 3 bundles together for the final cable. That will prevent the need for tie wraps that tend to hang up on things when you move things in the shop.

+1 for the 9 volt battery

I used a couple of test leads with small alligator clips on the ends attached to a 9 volt battery and tested each light one at a time for a few moments to check continuity ... the LED lights get plenty bright on 9 volts.

Happy building,

Back