VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM

I had the PTT on the throttle of my Moni motorglider and loved it. I initially had it on the stick, but the Moni was so pitch sensitive that every time I keyed the mic, I climbed. Not sure I would like it on a right hand throttle like the SBS RVs.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8R999 View Post
placing the starter switch on the throttle or stick with a taildragger allows the pilot to manipulate the the fuel flow during start while ensuring the stick remains full aft..it actually makes starting much, much more ergonomic and isn't any more complicated than wiring the switch to the panel. It is just a different routing of wires.
Let's see, there is the smaller wire that is required put the little starter button on the stick, thus you may need a relay to fire the starter relay. Then, you probably want some kind of "lock out" so you don't accidently trigger the starter while flying. I'm thinking that accidently keying the mic is preferable to accidently engaging the starter.

As for the taildragger thing, I have no problem holding the stick with my knees, or not. As soon as the engine starts it is easy enough to grab the stick and with the dual electronic ignition (Pmags) the engine starts on the first blade every time right off of idle. No big blast of air going over the elevator so little risk of something bad happening.

It really comes down to building what YOU want the way YOU want it.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
It really comes down to building what YOU want the way YOU want it.
I think this is the best answer yet.

For what it's worth, I have a throttle grip from an F-105 that I plan to incorporate at some point. Here's the only photo I could find on the net that shows the same grip, although this is of a replica:

http://www.metalcraftbyblair.com/ind...ducts_id=13226

It has two buttons and a toggle switch on it. One button is marked IGN (ignition, which I plan to use for starter), and the toggle is marked Speed Brakes In-Out (which I plan to use for flaps... Seems appropriate). I forget what the third button says, but i'll use it for PTT.

Then all I need is an Infinity grip for my right hand, with coolie-hat trim, frequency select, second start button, and smoke on-off, and i'm done.

Oh, and I need a way to mount a left-side throttle in an RV-6 that i'm happy with. Maybe that has to come first.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM

If I'm in a tandem I like the PTT on the throttle. Almost all of the warbirds I have flown have them there. As for starter switches on the stick/throttle I don't see any advantage. You are starting with the engine at idle so it doesn't need to be in your lap. Starting a radial engine requires both hands, one holding down the start switch the other to work the primer until the engine fires on the boost coil then to flip the mags on. Snowflake, your idea of having to push two buttons to start is a little overboard. Also if you need a restart flying formation you have a real big problem. It is best to keep things simple. Don
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Default Another scheme.

My plans, for now:

Starter: Starter enable switch on the panel to allow the starter switch on the stick to work. (HOTAS for taildragger starting.)

PTT: One on the pilot stick, one on the copilot stick (must be on top of the stick to prevent inadvertent actuation...and I'm reserving the trigger switches for missles), and at least one on the panel for the copilot to transmit while the pilot flies. I'm thinking I'd also like a panel-mounted pilot PTT for autopilot-engaged transmissions. Now it's getting out of hand...

Maybe I should figure out if my COM radios (intercom?) can handle parallel PTTs. Anyone done this before?
Empennage...Done (except rebuilding the rudder.)
Wings...Halfway complete.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N999ZA View Post
Maybe I should figure out if my COM radios (intercom?) can handle parallel PTTs. Anyone done this before?
PTT switch does nothing but ground the PTT pin, so parallel works fine.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8R999 View Post
I carved my own throttle grip from black Walnut and put my starter switch in it. PTT would be even easier..
I'm in the process of doing the same as part of a rebuild. My RV-4 originally had the PTT on the stick (where the A/A wep select should be ) and the starter on the full forward (momentary) position of left mag toggle (RHS of the cockpit). I'm tired of doing the monkey shuffle on starting and I never liked PTT on the stick, so I'm putting PTT and a start pushbutton on a new throttle grip. My starter is locked out when the RT mag is on, so that should prevent most accidental engagements.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM

For what its worth, I have had experience with the military set up - PTT on throttle and others, so I gave it some thought during build planning. In my tail dragger -6, I have a left hand throttle (mixture and prop on center lower panel).

On the stick grip I have the usual trigger PTT and also the starter button. The starter is "locked out" with a manual switch on the panel to eliminate inadvertant starter engagement. So typical operations look like this -

To start - left hand on stick to control it and engage starter button. Right hand on mixture. As engine starts and mixture is set to full rich, right hand goes to stick and left goes to throttle to adjust idle.

Two hands to engage starter is way too much. Starter on throttle would be nice but with right hand on mixture, no hands are left for the stick. None of it is that critical (you got knees) - keep it simple.

Inadvertent PTT trigger pulls are not an issue. The advantage for PTT on throttle is that you can transmit and write at the same time (assuming right handed).

I do have my flap switch mounted just above the left hand throttle. Flap switch adjacent to throttle is the way to go, as flaps can be moved while the other "stick hand" flies.

I guess it all depends if you are left hand or right hand sticking - man this is getting complicated!!

Again, none of this is that critical. Make a call and build on. You'll adapt to whatever you did when finaly flying.

By the way, a single left hand throttle for the 6 (and probably 7) can be built very quickly using the -8 backseat throttle kit from Van's. Just a few mods and you got it. I integrated mine into the forward part of the armrest and it fits in nicely.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM

I took a picture of Dayton's set up. I will have #1 COM on the trigger and #2 COM om the Throttle.

VAF 2018 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Thumbs up PTT Switch

Hi All
I have a bag of those Red button switch’s if you send me your contact information I will mail you a switch for you deluxe throttle quadrant, there is an aluminum ring I make to adapt to the ¾” I.D. of the throttle handle to the switch that will be included.
VAF#408 RV4 N359DM Flying 985 hrs. 8/15/18
Builder Log