VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Default PTT on Throttle quadrant

Right now, I have my PTT on the control stick in the "trigger" position, but a friend commented that I might end up keying the mic while maneuvering. He recommended moving the PTT to the throttle.

I'm installing a throttle quadrant similar to the one shown above in my RV-7.

Has anyone else done this (PTT on the throttle)? How do you run the wires from the PTT down the throttle quadrant arm? I'm assuming that a thumb operated PTT would be the best choice.

Thanks in advance...
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, building wings)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Default PPT on Throttle

You bet Scott. Did it on my RV-8.
Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........
[IMG][/IMG]
You will notice the top half is a flap switch. The bottom is a mike switch and I never used it. I wouldn't do it again.
OH........I know its PTT, not PPT
300 Hrs Sold
RV3(B) Sold
RV4 Refreshing engine

Last edited by Frank : 12-16-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added pic and corrected title
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Scott,

I put the PTT on the top of my grips and never had a problem hitting in by accident. Later I put in an auto pilot disconnect button in the trigger position and don't hit that either.

The problem with putting the PTT on the TQ is that you don't keep your hand there other than when landing and take offs or formation flying. Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.

If you want to add a button to the TQ, put the flap button and/or starter button on there.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Throttle quad button

I carved my own throttle grip from black Walnut and put my starter switch in it. PTT would be even easier..

http://i48.tinypic.com/308bgw7.jpg
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........

Frank - attaching pictures is easy. Just type your reply, use a little duct tape to attach your picture to your computer screen, then hit the "submit reply" button! Piece of cake!
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, building wings)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.
I concur! The RV-4 I fly has it on the throttle...don't like it; wish it was on the stick.

-Jim
Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Flew a Huskey

a lot with a PTT on the throttle and did not like it.
Not sure why - it just felt strange.
My cub had the PTT on the stick. Felt right there and I never hit the transmit button accidently.

Steve
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM

My plan was always to have the PTT and one of the starter buttons on the throttle. The other one of the starter buttons would go on the stick, so i'd need to be holding both the stick and the throttle to start the plane. Also makes it easier for an in-air restart if needed during formation.

The reasoning for PTT on the throttle (so i've been told) is that it's part of the military setup, and follows the division of responsibility for the controls between your two hands... Your left hand controls your power, and your right hand provides direction. For the engine, that means the left controls the power output from the engine, and right tells that power where to go by pointing the airplane.

Following the same philosophy for the radio, think of it as the left controlling whether or not you're talking (your output, or power), and the right controls what frequency you're on via a frequency select button on the stick (telling it where to go).

Having the starter on both is just something I thought of to ensure that you have both hands in the right place during startup, and at the same time making it hard to accidentally hit a single starter button located on either.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
My plan was always to have the PTT and one of the starter buttons on the throttle. The other one of the starter buttons would go on the stick, so i'd need to be holding both the stick and the throttle to start the plane. Also makes it easier for an in-air restart if needed during formation....
Good thought, only we don't fly fighters and those that do also have a LOT of other buttons on their stick and throttle.

Think about how much time and RV-7 (or any other RV) will spend without making any power adjustments and how many times you will need to press the PTT button in flight. Your hand will almost always be on the stick, not the throttle. Even if you have an auto pilot (which I do), it is easier to press the PTT on the stick than reach to the panel for the throttle.

Of course, this is all my opinion, your actual mileage, desires, etc. may vary.

For those who plan on putting the starter button on the throttle or stick (as Paul and some others have done), while I like this idea, IMHO, I like keeping things simple even more. Proper panel layout / switch placement can go a long way towards solving a lot of these perceived problems and eliminate a lot of wiring complexity. One thing I hate doing is chasing down electrical problems and when you start adding relays, multiple switches, etc., you are adding complexity, which means future maintenance issues.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 AM

placing the starter switch on the throttle or stick with a taildragger allows the pilot to manipulate the the fuel flow during start while ensuring the stick remains full aft..it actually makes starting much, much more ergonomic and isn't any more complicated than wiring the switch to the panel. It is just a different routing of wires.