VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM

I know this thread is 6 years old but I am considering these handles and wonder about compromising the structural integrity of the roll bar.

Any thoughts?
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2018(my reminder)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Blain

I bought a pair planning on fitting them but as the project came close to fruition climbing in and out I found I didn't need them. Now that I have been flying for nearly two years I can say I definitely don't need them. I'm 6ft /195 lbs dressed and I get in without touching the roll bar and on exit my finger tips go under the roll bar for a little stability (I wear flying gloves so plenty of grip). I mainly lever myself up by pushing down on the canopy rail.

Is there a completed 8 nearby you can practice entry/exit to see if you really need them?
Donation July 2016
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Me too

I have been considering installing these on my 9. I have purchased a pair, but like the original poster I canít figure out where to place them. Seems to me the rear of the handle (where it is secured) will be under the windscreen fairing. And how hard to you really want to pull on them?

FS; entry handlesÖ
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying
Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ellis View Post
Blain

I bought a pair planning on fitting them but as the project came close to fruition climbing in and out I found I didn't need them. Now that I have been flying for nearly two years I can say I definitely don't need them. I'm 6ft /195 lbs dressed and I get in without touching the roll bar and on exit my finger tips go under the roll bar for a little stability (I wear flying gloves so plenty of grip). I mainly lever myself up by pushing down on the canopy rail.

Is there a completed 8 nearby you can practice entry/exit to see if you really need them?
Spent more time in the back of -4 and -8 then the front. I guess that waiting isn't such a bad idea.
N82 Sierra Tango
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Default Handles

I installed a pair of handles in my 9A and like them a lot. I can pull really hard on them. They are quite sturdy. Very useful.
RV9A Bill
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM

As previously mentioned, I would be very concerned about breaking the windscreen to fuelage fairing bond and about crash safety/ head injury. 200 plus hours on my 8 and no need for handles noted. Cockpit siderails are main supports for ingress and egress
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Default Hope these help...

Here's a couple of shots of my -8. I used allen head capscrews, smaller and possible to remove if need be.

I have rotator cuff issues on both shoulders so the parallel bar trick with the side rails is just not a possibility. I would have great difficulty getting out without the handles. They make it easy.

They are also useful for the rear seat passenger, using the front seat back rail for the first step and the front handles second to get on their feet.

With my 5 point harness secured I just can't imagine hitting them with my head unless the bar came back to meet me, then I got bigger problems...

Membership renewed Nov 30, 2017
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Default I love em!

I had a welder weld some handles on for me that were bent out of a solid rod. I am not worried about an accident and head injury with these (would be if only used one in center). They are used all the time (especially for a tall person from the rear getting in and out), and I highly recommend them. I use them every time I get in and out of the plane.

Looks like Ron (in the previous post), has them mounted very close to where mine are. I would do the same thing all over again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RV8 View Post
Here's a couple of shots of my -8. I used allen head capscrews, smaller and possible to remove if need be.

I have rotator cuff issues on both shoulders so the parallel bar trick with the side rails is just not a possibility. I would have great difficulty getting out without the handles. They make it easy.

They are also useful for the rear seat passenger, using the front seat back rail for the first step and the front handles second to get on their feet.

With my 5 point harness secured I just can't imagine hitting them with my head unless the bar came back to meet me, then I got bigger problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by db8 View Post
I had a welder weld some handles on for me that were bent out of a solid rod. I am not worried about an accident and head injury with these (would be if only used one in center). They are used all the time (especially for a tall person from the rear getting in and out), and I highly recommend them. I use them every time I get in and out of the plane.

Looks like Ron (in the previous post), has them mounted very close to where mine are. I would do the same thing all over again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ron, did you use Aircraft Extras product?
Not to drift off topic but I'm nearing painting the cabin and haven't chosen a color yet.
Dave, your paner looks glossy. Any reflection problems?
Ron; I like your color also, what is it?
N82 Sierra Tango
Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 PM

Default handles

I too installed the aircraft extra handles on my -8. Some notes:

1. I drilled the screw holes deeper then cut them so the handles would be shorter.

2. I find the handles to be very useful for getting in and out, but they are especially useful for the passenger getting into the rear seat.

3. I don't think the small diameter holes drilled across the roll bar, then filled with screws will weaken the structure (that's my mechanical engineer opinion, without any formal analysis done on this)

4. I'll try to get some pictures of my installation over the weekend.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited by skylor : 04-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.