VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 AM

Default Roll Bar Handles

I seek valuable input from those builders with flying RV8's and -8A's The issue is handles and the potential utility of installing one or more handles as an aid to entry and exit. Right now, I use a step ladder to get in and out and since it will be some time before the wings are attached, it is difficult for me to envision how entry and exit will ultimately "feel."

I recently bought a pair of handles from http://www.aircraftextras.com/ the very same handles I installed in my -6A and do find their use in that application to be virtually essential.

The pictures illustrate potential handle placement in the -8. I am very interested in your comments and real world experiences.

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 AM

I'm pretty sure you don't want to mount them on the roll bar where your showing. When you try to close the canopy, the bow will want to set right up against the roll bar. You will need to sit in the plane with the canopy closed and see where to mount them (probably aimed somewhat downward).

Originally, I wished that I had installed handles but I'm now so used to getting in without them that I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

I haven't sat in an -8 with the handles so can't comment as to if they are worth it.

Karl
RV-8 #80240 SOLD
1999 BMW R1100RS
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 AM

Not sure I'd put one on the rear seat roll bar. I've been into and out of the back seat of several owners RV-8's and you just don't need one there to get in and out.

Up front they can come in handy, but like the other post, make sure you get the angle correct by sitting in it with the canopy closed before drilling and mounting it/them.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Not needed

The stock weldment makes a great grab bar when getting up on the wing. I really don't think anything additional is needed and, IMO, would just be in the way.
RV-8 Emp in progress ...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I find that I tend to (easily) use the side rails like "parallel bars" getting in and out of either the front or rear cockpit, and have never felt like I needed an extra handle in either spot. Just another datapoint.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM

I have them and use them, but only for steadying myself. If you were to reef on those handles on the roll bar you could crack your windscreen (don't ask how I know this). They are great for hanging on to as you swing your legs in and out of the front seat.

The side of the weldment is what I use to grab onto to get on the wing.

Here is a pic of my handle installation.

I'm a tall guy and those handles are just fine for placement even though they look like they might be in the way.

Cheers

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk

Vice President EAA Chapter 245

Last edited by rv8bldr : 02-11-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Speeling errors
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM

I dunno guys....those handles look like post-crash head injury.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM

I agree with DAn.. Although I have a pair on my -9A, I'm thinking of changing them to the off road nylon strap kind - they use them for the roll bar installation, and are available from the off road shops. Colored, flexible and safe....and wide so less pressure on your delicate hands....

Allan
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Clearly the hard point handles will create a severe safety hazard. I would be opting for a soft canvas/rope handle if one is needed at all.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6a View Post
I seek valuable input from those builders with flying RV8's and -8A's The issue is handles and the potential utility of installing one or more handles as an aid to entry and exit. Right now, I use a step ladder to get in and out and since it will be some time before the wings are attached, it is difficult for me to envision how entry and exit will ultimately "feel."

I recently bought a pair of handles from http://www.aircraftextras.com/ the very same handles I installed in my -6A and do find their use in that application to be virtually essential.

The pictures illustrate potential handle placement in the -8. I am very interested in your comments and real world experiences.
I mounted those handles at the 10:30 and 1:30 clock positions on the rollbar. I cut at least an inch off of the handle and re-tapped it so it wouldn't stick out so far. They stick out maybe 1.5-2.0 inches from the rollbar. Also, I was careful to mount them in a position so they wouldn't hit the canopy.

I find that I use them all the time. I'm 6'3", so I have to be careful not to bang into stuff when I'm trying to wedge myself into the seat. The handles are very helpful for that. They also provide a nice handhold for people getting in and out of the back seat -- it prevents them from grabbing for the fiberglass strip that runs around the rollbar.