VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Default High Silicon in Oil Analysis Solved (I think)

Ever since my first flight in 2014, my oil analysis has come back "high silicon". The standard response has been "Your air filter sucks". It's a K&N, which is known to let more "stuff" through than some others, but I just didn't believe the filter was at fault because I don't fly off of dirt strips or in sand storms. So I ran an experiment. I had originally vented my crankcase with silicon rubber coolant hoses which ran to an oil separator, the drain of which was plumbed back to the crankcase with more silicon rubber hose. At the last annual back in August, I re-plumbed the system so the separator drain went to a little catch bottle rather than back into the crankcase. Wonder of wonders, the latest silicon reading went down from the 30-35 range to 14 this time. I'm calling "problem solved".
Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Default My experience

I also have an air oil separator that returns the oil to the crankcase. I just received my first (56 hours total time) oil analysis report and my silicon reading is 10. I used the silicon hoses provided by Antisplat. Maybe my hoses different than yours? Mine are the blue ones.
RV 7A. RV #9700
Built in SoCal KCCB
N325KS
Phase 1 Completed Nov 2017
120 Hours in Year 1 & 3x cross the USA
Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 PM

Go ahead. Make a liar out of me My hoses are green on the outside and red on the inside. They are coolant hoses for 18 wheel trucks. Maybe the anti-splat hoses are lined?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Sorry

Didnít mean to. 🙁 Iíll check the inside color tomorrow. And I also have a K&N filter. Mine is Horizontal induction.
RV 7A. RV #9700
Built in SoCal KCCB
N325KS
Phase 1 Completed Nov 2017
120 Hours in Year 1 & 3x cross the USA
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Default K & N Filter

I use a K & N conical filter on my Rocket. I don't even bother "treating" it with their magic oil anymore - I looked up my last 10 oil sample analysis' and had an average of 6 ppm for silicon.

David
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Ever since my first flight in 2014, my oil analysis has come back "high silicon". The standard response has been "Your air filter sucks". It's a K&N, which is known to let more "stuff" through than some others, but I just didn't believe the filter was at fault because I don't fly off of dirt strips or in sand storms. So I ran an experiment. I had originally vented my crankcase with silicon rubber coolant hoses which ran to an oil separator, the drain of which was plumbed back to the crankcase with more silicon rubber hose. At the last annual back in August, I re-plumbed the system so the separator drain went to a little catch bottle rather than back into the crankcase. Wonder of wonders, the latest silicon reading went down from the 30-35 range to 14 this time. I'm calling "problem solved".
I don't believe that a high silicone content in your oil is a "problem" per se. It is reported as it helps to identify other "problems" such as poor air filtration.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Do you have an oil filter? If you do and you happen to use Dow DC-4 Silicone lube on the filter gasket, that can raise the si level in the analysis.
It does in my reports if I get "sloppy" with the lube.
Mel B.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Vans4 View Post
Do you have an oil filter? If you do and you happen to use Dow DC-4 Silicone lube on the filter gasket...
Yes on the oil filter and I did always use DC-4 on the gasket. This last oil change, though, I installed a Tempest EZ-spin so in 25 hrs. we'll see if that makes a difference. I also have the RTV rocker cover gaskets.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Go ahead. Make a liar out of me My hoses are green on the outside and red on the inside. They are coolant hoses for 18 wheel trucks. Maybe the anti-splat hoses are lined?
Since you have all under control now, you can always put the hoses back on to show the silicon goes back up. It's bad when silicone gaskets, hoses, sealants etc push up the numbers, as it is the best indicator of air filter effectiveness, and thus barrel wear. Particle size and count measurements also can help augment the oil materials measurements for engine health understanding.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
33/40 hrs
Aerobatics DONE!!
2017 Dues Paid
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 AM

Default Normal Silicon

I got my second oil analysis back after switching to a catch bottle rather than draining the oil separator back to the crankcase. Silicon was still normal for twice in a row. This reading was 17, up from 14 last time and in the twenties previously and forties originally. So the long term trend has been down. Hmmmm...