VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 PM

This is a timely question indeed. I worked with the Nashville FSDO to get my application signed, and they were very helpful and easy to deal with. I had to send build logs (I'm a digital pack rat which helps), and meet the FAA examiner for a brief interview to get the signature.

I used Gleim online for my written tests, and took all 3 at once with no problems.

For the oral and practical, I went to the 3 day Bakers school in Nashville, then used one of the DMEs they work with regularly. I seriously doubt there's an easier, less stressful way to get through the O&P. In fact, I just passed my oral and practical about 6 hours ago :-)

As Paul said, the FAA assigned our questions, and practical tasks. There were 4 of us testing this morning, and I was the only one who got assigned the "demonstrate starting an aircraft engine" task. The funny thing is that I'm the only pilot of the group, so I got lucky on that one. It all went pretty quickly, and after melting some ice from the truck, I managed to escape the freezing rain just in time.

Cheers,
Rusty

PS- Thanks Paul for your earlier encouragement!
RV-3B, SN-11351, purchased (yes it's cheating)
2017 dues paid
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
This is a timely question indeed. I worked with the Nashville FSDO to get my application signed, and they were very helpful and easy to deal with. I had to send build logs (I'm a digital pack rat which helps), and meet the FAA examiner for a brief interview to get the signature.

I used Gleim online for my written tests, and took all 3 at once with no problems.

For the oral and practical, I went to the 3 day Bakers school in Nashville, then used one of the DMEs they work with regularly. I seriously doubt there's an easier, less stressful way to get through the O&P. In fact, I just passed my oral and practical about 6 hours ago :-)

As Paul said, the FAA assigned our questions, and practical tasks. There were 4 of us testing this morning, and I was the only one who got assigned the "demonstrate starting an aircraft engine" task. The funny thing is that I'm the only pilot of the group, so I got lucky on that one. It all went pretty quickly, and after melting some ice from the truck, I managed to escape the freezing rain just in time.

Cheers,
Rusty

PS- Thanks Paul for your earlier encouragement!
Rusty,
I am not to far from you in the Chattanooga Area! I had a quick question about the A&P (sorry to go off thread topic). Did you use your aircraft build to meet the time requirements for the A&P?

I am really wanting to get the A&P at some point, but my field of work is quite different than aviation, and I am not sure I could ever find enough time to work with a shop to have someone sign off on my hours. I have read some folks were able to use the time they spent on their build for the requirement, and was wondering if you did the same.

If so, I'd like to pick your brain on it a bit if you dont mind.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
Rusty,
I am not to far from you in the Chattanooga Area! I had a quick question about the A&P (sorry to go off thread topic). Did you use your aircraft build to meet the time requirements for the A&P?

I am really wanting to get the A&P at some point, but my field of work is quite different than aviation, and I am not sure I could ever find enough time to work with a shop to have someone sign off on my hours. I have read some folks were able to use the time they spent on their build for the requirement, and was wondering if you did the same.

If so, I'd like to pick your brain on it a bit if you dont mind.
Hi Lynn,

My day job is quite different as well (tech support for MRI scanners). Over the years I've built 5 aircraft, so it wasn't just a single build. The following page shows some good info, and the FAA inspector also pointed out that maintaining your experimental plane counts towards the hours as well. Years ago, this was nearly impossible, but they've relaxed the rules a bit, and more FAA offices are taking homebuilders more seriously it seems.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ilt-experience

Cheers,
Rusty
RV-3B, SN-11351, purchased (yes it's cheating)
2017 dues paid