VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2018, 05:12 PM

Default King A & P course

Anyone out there use this course to prep for the A & P exams?

Part 2, anyone one the programs you'd like to part with.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 01-11-2018, 05:23 PM

No experience with King but I ordered the three ASA books with the Big Year stamped on the cover. All three through amazon was less than $60 and they have more than prepared me to pass the tests. I used the FAA books to look up stuff I didn't understand but the ASA books also give a description of why the answer is correct. My biggest hurdle was getting the FAA to sign my 8610-2. If you haven't done that yet, best of luck with it.

Nick
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Absolute garbage. I sent the king junk back for a refund. It has not been updated since the wright brothers were building. Get the online gleim course and knock out the writtens in a few weeks. Then call baker school near nashville and do their 3 day oral and practical prep course. Guaranteed pass or they will retrain you for free for ul to a year.
Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I used it last year and found that the questions matched the questions in the actual test pool exactly - in other words, I didn't see any questions on the written that weren't in the King course. This is just using it for test prep - not actual learning, since I already had forty years of working on flying machines. There were a couple of topics that were new - fire suppression systems on turbine aircraft, for instance - and I learned those well enough to pass the tests with high scores.

It's pretty apparent that the King's don't really know the material themselves (at least not very well), and it is fun to watch their hair and waist lines change drastically from one topic to the next....but if going through all of the test questions is how you prepare for written tests, they worked fine.

I don't think it does much good to pass them on, becasue they get online registered by serial number, and I think most of the functionality of the test prep questions goes away.

That's my experience - you probably already know how FAA test prep works best for you.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 01-12-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
it is fun to watch their hair and waste lines

Paul
Were you watching their colons? - [Dont you hate autocorrect? PD....]

Last edited by Ironflight : 01-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM

I used checkride dot com for the written. It's just the question bank, but it's pretty good. The questions all have explanations, and for the ones that didn't immediately make sense a plethora of info was only a quick google search away. Don't bother trying to memorize the questions/answers, just use it to bone up on the subject matter. I spent a few weeks going through all the questions and took my tests, all 3 in one shot. That was a $450 morning! (Yes, they ding you $150 for each test.)

After going through this the oral was a breeze. The written has all kinds of stuff about vapor cycle air conditioners and such, but my oral stuck pretty much to GA. Where he had to go into the big iron stuff the written prep had me plenty prepared.

If you've built an RV, the practical will be pretty straightforward as well. The FAA wants you doing things by the book, which means for everything on the test they give you all the manuals and instructions that you need. The prep courses are nice for guys coming out of the military who've never timed a mag, but may be a bit redundant for people who weren't so specialized. I cannot emphasize enough using the manuals. As homebuilt guys we know our aircraft and don't have the luxury of a factory mx manual. As such we've become very comfortable working without one. That won't fly. Even if you know what you doing have the book out, reference it, and make sure the examiner knows you are.

As Nick said, if you haven't gotten your 8610 yet, do that first. They will do them, but they don't hand them out like candy. When I got mine the FSDO was very helpful, and walked me through the process. But even at that I still had to submit a couple letters, work resume, phone meetings, and an in person meeting. On top of that they called around and asked mutual acquaintances about me.

DEM
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
Anyone out there use this course to prep for the A & P exams?

Part 2, anyone one the programs you'd like to part with.
I used this course.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 AM

I got mine from a Kings school, but NOT John and Martha King. It was in Tennessee maybe 25 years or so ago, maybe it changed to the Baker school. Guaranteed to pass was attractive.
We went over each of the FAA written questions, WITH ONLY THE CORRECT ANSWER SHOWING, several times! I think I maxed it because that right answer jumped out at you like it was written in red when I finally took the test.. They followed up with an oral and practical at a nearby airport. I highly recommend such a method, there is no way one person could ever experience all the areas needed.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Default A&P test prep

The Gleim practice test worked really well. Get at least three 90s in a row on all the subject areas there and you will score well on all the FAA tests. For the O&P use the Jeppensen study guides for all three areas. They keep their guides up to date with the current question pool and the answers are exact.

The oral questions are assigned by the FAA when the DME requests them for your application. The practical is assigned by the DME usually based on the experience of the applicant.

Tyler
A&P studying for my IA
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerII View Post
The oral questions are assigned by the FAA when the DME requests them for your application. The practical is assigned by the DME usually based on the experience of the applicant.

Tyler
A&P studying for my IA
Actually, I was told (by my test prep school and the DME) that the FAA also assigns which practical projects he has to give you, teh same way they do for the Oral. In other words, the DME has no leeway in what you get - they’re really just proctoring the exam questions assigned by OKC.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com