What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fat tailwheel?

N729LS

Well Known Member
Patron
Amongst the various tailwheel options for the RV-8 is the Condor fork sold by flyboyaccessories.com to be used with a 200x50 (8" diameter) pneumatic tire on a Matco hub. I am thinking of switching over to this and would like to hear from anyone that has tried it, pro or con. Thanks,
Andy

Another place to get Puncture

I can see no advantage in this only it will be another place to get a puncture.

Just my 2 p worth

Rob

I'm guessing that you can see the runway better in a three point stance, taller tire. Probably smoother handling too. My solid rubber seems to turn into a piece of steel this time of year here in Minnesota, even with a mild temp of 20 degrees Fahrenheit, each little crack in the runway surface feels rough like pushing a pallet jack over a stone...

I originally helped develop the Condor (was the test bed) and have used it for several years. Where I was based at the time (KRTS) the ramp cracks look like the Grand Canyon. The standard tailwheel rattled my teeth with every crack, not to mention shaking the airplane. Cracks were so big, one had to be careful to cross them at a right angle lest the wheel get caught and ripped off (well, a bit of hyperbole here but....). The Condor is much nicer on rough terrain (gravel fields) as well. Doesn't change (better) the visibility very much in reality. Downside is yes, there is a chance of puncture. Has not happened to me yet but the spare tube I carry is small and light. I originally tried using one of those foam-filled wheelchair wheels, but they ended up getting a flat spot if sitting for very long (in spite of the vendor claims that this would not happen). I would not go back to the standard wheel.

p.s. It may cost you 0.002 kt in speed since it's a bit larger.

I originally helped develop the Condor (was the test bed) and have used it for several years. Where I was based at the time (KRTS) the ramp cracks look like the Grand Canyon. The standard tailwheel rattled my teeth with every crack, not to mention shaking the airplane. Cracks were so big, one had to be careful to cross them at a right angle lest the wheel get caught and ripped off (well, a bit of hyperbole here but....). The Condor is much nicer on rough terrain (gravel fields) as well. Doesn't change (better) the visibility very much in reality. Downside is yes, there is a chance of puncture. Has not happened to me yet but the spare tube I carry is small and light. I originally tried using one of those foam-filled wheelchair wheels, but they ended up getting a flat spot if sitting for very long (in spite of the vendor claims that this would not happen). I would not go back to the standard wheel.

p.s. It may cost you 0.002 kt in speed since it's a bit larger.

Is the 200x50 tire wider than the stock RV solid tire?

Regarding flats, I've had one, count them, one, flat in the 8" pneumatic tailwheel tire for my C180, in about 1,500 hours. And I've flown into all sorts of strange places.

And that flat was at a paved airport.

Dave

I used to use the Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel. Loved the feel and ride, but would get a flat about once a month. The sidewall was just too short, plus the only tube available was a bit undersized, so the tube would split. And that was with being diligent at keeping pressure at 50 psi.

I now have the Flyboy 6" and it's a really nice-looking and well-made tailwheel. Unfortunately, it might as well be made from concrete, as that's how it rides.

Last edited:
I now have the Flyboy 6" and it's a really nice-looking and well-made tailwheel. Unfortunately, it might as well be made from concrete, as that's how it rides.

I suppose you meant a Flyboy 8" and if so how wide is it compared with the stock RV solid tailwheel?

I used to use the Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel. Loved the feel and ride, but would get a flat about once a month. The sidewall was just too short, plus the only tube available was a bit undersized, so the tube would split. And that was with being diligent at keeping pressure at 50 psi.

I talked to Matco about the 6" pneu and even tho they sell it they strongly recommended the 7" pneu specifically cause of flats issue with the 6. No diff in weight, so I went 7" Matco.......FWIW, I can still mount my 6" solid on the matco axle if I so desire......

Condor is slightly wider than stock tailwheel in terms of ground contact. I'll be at airport later today and will edit this with the measured width of the tire itself. After years taxiing in what sounded like a tin can over the expansion cracks at KRTS, the pneumatic wheel made a huge difference. I'm still using the original tire, very little wear and never have had a flat on it. YMMV.

Tire width at widest point: 2.25"
Tire diameter: 7.75"
Axle length: 5.1"
Ground clearance: 5.25" (distance from ground to bottom of pivot axle, i.e., if you ran into something that is 5.25" high, you would hit the tire but not the tailwheel bracket itself)

All measurements with tire inflated. I generally run mine around 35-40 psi but it does ok at lower pressures, down to about 15-20 psi. Max allowable per label on tire is 50 psi.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I?m watching this thread with some interest.

Our asphalt taxiways take a beating in terms of contraction and expansion cracks caused by temperature changes and expansive soils/clay content around here. I feel like I?m abusing my poor little RV-3 just taxiing to the runway at 8 knots groundspeed.

I?ve tried the Bell style tailwheel with a Van?s tire as well as the Flyboys fork with their lightweight tire. There?s not much difference in the bumpy ride. To add to the perceived abuse, we have a heavily grooved runway and it sets up a resonance that really gets my attention as soon as the tail comes down.

I had a Flyboys pneumatic setup on order, but cancelled the order before it shipped because my local friends convinced me it was another point of failure. Feedback threads like this with reports of ?no problem? might prompt me to place another order!

We?re always hunting for the better mousetrap, right?!?

I installed the Condor on our -7 and will never go back. (I've used Van's, Bell forks, FlyBoy 6" wheels in various combinations over the years.) My fillings remain in place with its much smoother ride, and I don't have to explain to the pax that the airplane isn't falling apart. The ride's quite. The rounded tire cross-section doesn't snag on every bug you run over to toss the tail around; no more rudder dance during taxi. The taller stance (~1.6" at the post) means you can roll over slightly taller obstacles than a 6". Width isn't different enough to make large cracks any less hazardous. I can't perceive enough of a visual change over the cowl to make any difference in landing. After all, the Oregon Aero cores sink almost 2" with body heat and nobody seems to complain about changing viewpoint. On long trips to the boonies, I carry the old 6" which I can change out quickly in the highly unlikely event of a flat.

John Siebold

I suppose you meant a Flyboy 8" and if so how wide is it compared with the stock RV solid tailwheel?

No, I meant the 6" Flyboy (solid; actually made by DJM Mfg), and sorry for the slight thread drift. Taxiing, it feels significantly harder than the stock one; but if you use the "fingernail test", the rubber feels about the same hardness as Van's. It's a bit narrower than Van's, but that's misleading as the Van's is rounded and the Flyboy is flat. So the "rubber on the road" is narrower with the Van's, and probably why it rides slightly better than the FB one.

Last edited:
I talked to Matco about the 6" pneu and even tho they sell it they strongly recommended the 7" pneu specifically cause of flats issue with the 6. No diff in weight, so I went 7" Matco.......FWIW, I can still mount my 6" solid on the matco axle if I so desire......

Matco didn't have the 7" yet when I bought the 6". I don't suppose the 7" will fit a stock Van's fork, will it? Guessing probably not.

How has the 7" Matco pneu been working for you? Any flats yet? And how long have you had it?

Condor is slightly wider than stock tailwheel in terms of ground contact. I'll be at airport later today and will edit this with the measured width of the tire itself. After years taxiing in what sounded like a tin can over the expansion cracks at KRTS, the pneumatic wheel made a huge difference. I'm still using the original tire, very little wear and never have had a flat on it. YMMV.

Tire width at widest point: 2.25"
Tire diameter: 7.75"
Axle length: 5.1"
Ground clearance: 5.25" (distance from ground to bottom of pivot axle, i.e., if you ran into something that is 5.25" high, you would hit the tire but not the tailwheel bracket itself)

All measurements with tire inflated. I generally run mine around 35-40 psi but it does ok at lower pressures, down to about 15-20 psi. Max allowable per label on tire is 50 psi.

Hope this helps.

I hadn't noticed until now that you edited your previous post with the tire size. Thank you !

Does the 7" matco fit on the condor or Bell tailwheel forks?

Blake has produced tires and hubs for the Condor fork. Those are to big for the stock Bell fork.

The Condor is a slightly larger version of the Bell fork, so don't get confused by the resemblance.

Matco didn't have the 7" yet when I bought the 6". I don't suppose the 7" will fit a stock Van's fork, will it? Guessing probably not.

How has the 7" Matco pneu been working for you? Any flats yet? And how long have you had it?

Still building, but let me tell you, I never notice the cracks in the garage floor with it! LOL.

FWIW it took about a year and a half to run down on air pressure.....pumped right back up tho and holding.

Back