Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 09:39 AM

A recent article in one of the magazines (AOPA / Sport Pilot - can't remember) touted Basic Med's success and that it was now being developed in other countries. In that article it mentioned the LSA market as a stop gap given where we are now with basic med.

I built the 12 because of the sport pilot rule. When basic med became a thing I waited for it and took that path. I can still fly IFR and at night which I like. Also, no need to be limited to LSA which is nice since a lot of older folks with really nice planes ask me to fly them around.

Sport Pilot does make sense for some and perhaps me some day.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 AM

I too thought Basic Med was going to be great for me, campaigned heavy for it to become law. As it turned out, me and most of my friends were passed by (too many years since last physical). As a result I sm stuck at the Sport Pilot level. I think the quality of LSA planes will probably keep their value up.
I could be wrong.

resultQUOTE=waterboy2110;1227397]A recent article in one of the magazines (AOPA / Sport Pilot - can't remember) touted Basic Med's success and that it was now being developed in other countries. In that article it mentioned the LSA market as a stop gap given where we are now with basic med.

I built the 12 because of the sport pilot rule. When basic med became a thing I waited for it and took that path. I can still fly IFR and at night which I like. Also, no need to be limited to LSA which is nice since a lot of older folks with really nice planes ask me to fly them around.

Sport Pilot does make sense for some and perhaps me some day.[/quote]
Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Modification to your EAB RV12 Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
Itís almost to the point of humorous... a guy asks if anyone has experience with a prop and immediately there is a flurry of activity by the LSA police...without actually answering the question.

Jim, my recommendation is to post this in the propeller section so as to avoid the contention...itís the main reason I minimize posting about my build. Donít draw outside the lines man!

I agree 100%

I think there should be a Sticky for Modification to your EAB RV12 Only

Then we can present our ideas without the concern of drawing outside of the lines

Joe Dallas
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Old 12-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
After some thought (about cost) I think I'll just leave it alone. I built the 12 because of the sport pilot rule but now that basic med is real the LSA market may be on it's way out except for a few that really need to make use of the Sport Pilot cert.
I now fly under Basic Med and have just ordered an S-LSA. I could have bought used, but chose not too. Although rated and current, I don’t fly IFR anymore. The LSA does everything a non LSA does and there is nothing I can’t do in it, except legally fly actual IFR. It’s equipt for night VFR and I don’t have the few other restrictions place on me, that a sport pilot rating would. This will be my fourth and last plane. I’ve owned 2,4 and 6 seater and rarely fly with more than two. The ATSM
, just as safe.

I don’t see Light Sport going anywhere but up.

Last edited by RV12JT : 12-23-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
I now fly under Basic Med and have just ordered an S-LSA. I could have bought used, but chose not too. Although rated and current, I donít fly IFR anymore. The LSA does everything a non LSA does and there is nothing I canít do in it, except legally fly actual IFR. Itís equipt for night VFR and I donít have the few other restrictions place on me, that a sport pilot rating would. This will be my fourth and last plane. Iíve owned 2,4 and 6 seater and rarely fly with more than two. The ATSM
, just as safe.

I donít see Light Sport going anywhere but up.
Well you're not going to fly night as sport pilot. The 12 is a great little plane but the Basic Med opens the doors for many who can do their flying in a $20k plane of which there are many to choose from.
RV12 Flying.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Well you're not going to fly night as sport pilot. The 12 is a great little plane but the Basic Med opens the doors for many who can do their flying in a $20k plane of which there are many to choose from.
I do not know what you are going to purchase for $20k that would be as safe and equally equipped as most E-LSAís.. when I was looking the existing fleet @ that price point were mighty rickety...and require considerable work @ annual By a expensive A & P...just saying!
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 12-23-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I do not know what you are going to purchase for $20k that would be as safe and equally equipped as most E-LSAís.. when I was looking the existing fleet @ that price point were mighty rickety...and require considerable work @ annual By a expensive A & P...just saying!
Oh yea that's true. When people asked me how much my Cessna cost I would tell them 4 times what I paid for it.
Yep - the 12 is very advanced. Flew my first night flight tonight. Gaining confidence in the Rotax a little at a time. Starting to fall in love with it again. It is a sweet little plane and outperforms all the 172's I've flown - at 5 GPH.
RV12 Flying.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
No intention to fly as a sport pilot unless Iím forced to down the road. I will be flying with a PPL, so no worries about night or signoffs for controlled airspace.

I also believe that in the long run, LSAís are overall less expensive to fly and maintain. Fuel costs alone are reason enough for me, as most of the planes Iíd consider donít have STCís for mogas.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I also believe that in the long run, LSA’s are overall less expensive to fly and maintain. Fuel costs alone are reason enough for me, as most of the planes I’d consider don’t have STC’s for mogas.
Ya - I don't know. Time will tell. I'm already $19k behind at the 47th hour due to Rotax engine failure. Mo-Gas definitely contributed to the failure. Buying good MoGas vs best price on AvGas is $0.50 per gallon around here.

As far as the air frame - then definitely yes. It's new, it will outlive me and parts are cheap. One of the top 3 reasons I built my 12 was parts cost. Cessna parts go from ridiculous to insulting while RV parts are in production, available and can be had in a couple days for basically what it costs to make them.

Engines are engines - at $19k a Rotax is basically the same as a overhaul O235. Keeping a 40 year old air frame airworthy never ends.

When the time comes where all I'm willing to do is Day VFR then the LSA is the ticket (another one of my top three reasons).
RV12 Flying.

Last edited by waterboy2110 : 12-24-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Fuel costs alone are reason enough for me, as most of the planes Iíd consider donít have STCís for mogas.
As it is for 100's of people Flying RV-12's.

There are lots of people flying RV-12's and other LSA's with 91UL, as private pilots for this very reason, with no problems.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")