- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Default Comparing engines

I have a lot of time behind a 180hp IO-360 RV-8A, and recent time flying a fire breathing 220hp RV-8.

Here are my thoughts:
- Both engines have a Hartzell CS prop. The engine choice is secondary to the decision to install the Hartzell BA CS prop. Iíve flown the same RV-8A with a FP and then changed out to the Hartzell - there is no comparison in performance.
- The 180HP IO-360 is more than enough power and provides for 170kt cruise at 7.5 - 8.0 gph - and climbs at 2000+ fpm. This makes for a superb cross country plane.
- The 220hp RV-8 jumps off the runway - I was amazed at how short a run it took compared to the 180hp RV-8A (which is no slouch itself).
- The 220hp RV-8 cruises at 180 kts (2400 rpm at 23Ē MP or so) at 9 gph (there is no free lunch - go faster, use more fuel).
- The 220hp RV-8 is of course heavier. Iíd give the nod to the 180hp RV-8A for the best handling - but they are close.

For the new RV-8 project I got the Vanís show special (IO-360-M1B and Hartzell CS BA prop). This is, in my opinion, the absolute best value option out there.

Decide what you want the plane to do and how thick a wallet you have. Then get what you want.

Carl
Old 12-20-2017, 05:43 PM

That's a great comparison, thanks for that, it's always good to hear actual experiences🙂
Old 12-21-2017, 07:57 AM

Default To long a list.

As has been said above, you will do well with most of the top four or five you listed. We roll our own, that is to say we buy from a spec. list to get what we want. Most owner-builders will not try to put their engines together, but I feel that it is a good idea for someone that is going to be flying their bag of parts to know as much as they can about those items. It makes it much better to put your mind at ease when you start servicing and trying to figure out problems later on after you start flying. Most of the parts that go into a Lycon are made and supplied by companies that send those parts to the people or company's you have listed. If you have the time and money to go and help put your power plant together, I think you will benefit a lot from that. As to the choice of what engine configuration you need, that one is up to what kind of flying you do and what you want out of your flying. This is just us for this aircraft and no other, but what we did was select an IO-360 with a good no counter weights or "dampers" if you wish. Add all the oil spray nozzles, the EX-ECI cylinders with the high air-flow seats and guides, then add 9:1 pistons. This gave us along with some intake and exhaust port work some 195 or so B.Hp. but kept the weight of the engine as low as we could.
After a good build with a good Prince prop it gave us an aircraft that came in at 1008 Lbs. with a Hp. that was just at are slightly below the "Max." 200 Hp. that Van's had recommended for that airframe. This with a moving of some weight after we weighed it for the first time gave us an aircraft that can carry 792 Lbs. by the book, but more important to us was to be able to load the front baggage compartment to it's full limit, take on full fuel, two 200 Lbs. people and put the 75 Lbs. in the rear baggage compartment and still be under gross weigh by the recommendations from Van's.
It's just all in what you want out of you flying, you can build or have built an engine that weights a little and gives you a lot or you can get one that weighs a bit more and has more pull also. The 8 is a very good platform if you keep it light and well balanced, but you might like more speed dam the torpedoes. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 12-23-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Default 375

I have a 180hp PV O-360, but when it comes time to replace it, I think I would go with the IO-375 PV 200hp. Light weight, PV, and 200 hp. Sounds like a winner to me.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 12-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Aero Sport advertises a IO-382 which sounds intriguing. I figure if a 375 is good a 382 must be better Not much info on their site about it though, they have been saying its a "new engine" for years nows.... Anyone know if they actually sell?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Default IO-382

The IO-382 does sounds interesting. I would love to hear about some real world experience behind it.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 12-24-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.26 View Post
Aero Sport advertises a IO-382 which sounds intriguing. I figure if a 375 is good a 382 must be better Not much info on their site about it though, they have been saying its a "new engine" for years nows.... Anyone know if they actually sell?
Basically a 360 case with a 400 crank and rods, parallel valve cylinders, and roller tappets, all from Superior. ASP includes balancing, porting (with flow bench docs), a cold air intake, dual P-mags, custom paint, two cases of break-in oil, and two filters. Last OSH special was $37,450.

The 382 is Aero Sport's signature product, but actually any good engine shop can build one. Aero Sport and Barrett are Superior's two largest shop outlets.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I have a 180hp PV O-360, but when it comes time to replace it, I think I would go with the IO-375 PV 200hp. Light weight, PV, and 200 hp. Sounds like a winner to me.
PV? Whatís that?
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 12-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Default PV...

Parallel Valve...

Scratchbuilt Biplane
Preceptor N3 - Sold
Zenith Zodiac 601HD - Sold (good riddance)
Kitfox IV - Sold my share, but loved that plane
RV8A Sold! Loved the plane, but not the nosewheel!
RVX (RV6/4) Sold
RV8 Project purchased (Can't help myself)
Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 AM

Local chap had an RV8 with an IO-320 in it. Tuned exhaust, dyno said around 170hp.

Now - because it was light, it performed well and the balance - 1 up was spot on.

More isn't necessarily better as you need to consider overall weight and whether it will run nose heavy with all that stuff up front.

Dan H has good words - look at newer iterations of older motors which have lightness and power with economy.

Donated in 2018