VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Leaking Fuel Tank

Very disappointed with fuel leaks in a pre-assembled fuel tank a friend of mine purchased from Van's for his RV-12. I flew the first 10 hours on his airplane with half-full fuel loads (approx 10 gallons). Never had a leak until we filled the tank on a final test flight. With the increased fuel load we began experiencing leaks at the outboard aft corner of the fuel tank, and at two of the rivets near the bottom drain.

We removed and opened the tank to inspect the inside and were shocked at how little proseal tank sealant was used by the Van's assemblers. The suspect corner of the tank pulled away from the aluminum with no resistance, and it was evident that little scuffing had been done to the corner.

Poor quality control by Van's, in my opinion. Considering the RV-12 fuel tank is in the fuselage with the pilot, I would think extra care would be used in the factory assembled tanks.
RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Share info with Vanís

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post
Very disappointed with fuel leaks in a pre-assembled fuel tank a friend of mine purchased from Van's for his RV-12. I flew the first 10 hours on his airplane with half-full fuel loads (approx 10 gallons). Never had a leak until we filled the tank on a final test flight. With the increased fuel load we began experiencing leaks at the outboard aft corner of the fuel tank, and at two of the rivets near the bottom drain.

We removed and opened the tank to inspect the inside and were shocked at how little proseal tank sealant was used by the Van's assemblers. The suspect corner of the tank pulled away from the aluminum with no resistance, and it was evident that little scuffing had been done to the corner.

Poor quality control by Van's, in my opinion. Considering the RV-12 fuel tank is in the fuselage with the pilot, I would think extra care would be used in the factory assembled tanks.
Have you contacted Vanís with this information?
#120043 N728SL
VAF paid 2018
Old 12-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post

I had a similar experience, and have had 3 separate fuel leaks from a factory built tank (dated 13/09, per the engraving on the sender plate.) One leak was very difficult to find and only showed up when I suspended the tank from the bolt holes and filled it with gas. Full, on the bench, no leak. Suspended (as if mounted) a leak showed up in one of the lower corners. Upon opening it, I found the same lack of evidence of scuffing.

This year, it's developed its fourth leak and I'm done with it. I just purchased a new one and am installing it during my condition inspection in January.

I didn't make a report to Van's because it had been at least a year (maybe 18 mo) after I purchased it. If the new one leaks, it will be promptly reported through their QC system and I'll send it back for them to do a post-mortem to search for a root cause.

I'm willing to acknowledge that statistical variations happen. If you & I are the only ones, it may just be bad luck on our parts. On the other hand, does anyone else have a similar story?

-dbh
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2018
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Pre-built RV-12 tank production was brought in house in March 2014 after some quality concerns with the outside vendor used prior to that point.

I am aware of a few leaks on tanks built by the outside vendor. None on the tanks that have been built in house.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 12-19-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Date correction
Old 12-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Pre-built RV-12 tank production was brought in house in March 2014 after some quality concerns with the outside vendor used prior to that point.

I am aware of a few leaks on tanks built by the outside vendor. None on the tanks that have been built in house.
Thanks, Scott. I really appreciate that kind of transparency.

-dbh
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2018
Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Pre-built RV-12 tank production was brought in house in March 2014 after some quality concerns with the outside vendor used prior to that point. I am aware of a few leaks on tanks built by the outside vendor. None on the tanks that have been built in house.
Thanks, Scott....
Glad to hear the outside vendor is no longer being used.
We recently opened up, repaired, and sealed the tank for the THIRD time.
The engraving on the tank frame shows 2014, which is probably before Van's took over.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98225ro8vx...0Tank.JPG?dl=0

We appreciate you shedding light on the problem.
RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter