VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Default K-1100-08D?

I'm getting kind of tired waiting for bag 3124 (i think) to finally be delivered from back order on the RV-12i fuse kit so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the parts elsewhere so I can plug along. I've already skipped ahead as far as I dare at this point..

I can't find, however, a platenut named K-1100-08D

I'm hoping the "D" stands for dimpled ears, because I've got a ton of K-1100-08s around and I can just squeeze the dimples myself.

Can anyone confirm?
RV-12iS fuselage
Builder log
Old 12-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
I'm getting kind of tired waiting for bag 3124 (i think) to finally be delivered from back order on the RV-12i fuse kit so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the parts elsewhere so I can plug along. I've already skipped ahead as far as I dare at this point..

I can't find, however, a platenut named K-1100-08D

I'm hoping the "D" stands for dimpled ears, because I've got a ton of K-1100-08s around and I can just squeeze the dimples myself.

Can anyone confirm?
Bob, why would one ever dimple a nut plate ear when NAS rivets can be used? You can use a NAS 1097 and with a few turns of a deburring tool have a countersink. even in .020 material. Much quicker, easier, and cheaper. Hard to beat that. I found the NAS1097AD3-3 are used 99% of the time.

Scott says this technique is listed in Section 5 now.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
Prep for 1st flight underway.
2017 Dues Paid

Last edited by BillL : 12-16-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Yes. Dimple away...

- RV12, N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finishing up.
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Bob, why would one ever dimple a nut plate ear when NAS rivets can be used? You can use a NAS 1097 and with a few turns of a deburring tool have a countersink. even in .020 material. Much quicker, easier, and cheaper. Hard to beat that. I found the NAS1097AD3-3 are used 99% of the time.

Perhaps quicker, perhaps easier, but realistically the same cost, because you can just dimple the nutplate. We have been doing this since the beginning on other kits, and removing material removes strength. I would definitely take a nested dimple over a countersink any day. Granted, the strength mainly comes from the screw or bolt in the nutplate, but still...
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

I understand my options. *My* quality control is not to countersink skin this thin and I can dimple a nutplate in a fraction of second.. That's why I'm not asking "is there any other way to attach a nutplate?"
RV-12iS fuselage
Builder log
Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 PM

To Bill,

The reason(s) *I* dimple them are that I don't have to keep up with yet another rivet type, I don't have to c/s a thin skin, and most of all, dimpled pairs self align much better than when using a c/s hole in the skin. Without nested dimples, the nut plate can actually drift off-center enough to cause issues with screw installation.

2 dimples in the nut plate is such an insignificant time consumer that it's barely noticeable. Mis-alignment of a nut plate, on the other hand....
Old 12-16-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Dimple if you like . . . .

Dimple if you like, but the NAS rivets in thin material will carry more than enough torque from that nut plate to shear the fastener. I tested some #6 standard cad screws to 50 in-lb before failure. It's experimental, satisfy yourself, do a test.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
2017 Dues Paid
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Was that a response to my post? If so, I don't think I mentioned torque. C/S-ing a thin skin can compound the misalignment issue.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Was that a response to my post? If so, I don't think I mentioned torque. C/S-ing a thin skin can compound the misalignment issue.
Nope, must have been an over post

I have had no issues (that I can recall) with alignment using the NAS rivets, but I can see your point. I have had the hole off, but not relative to the nut plate.

BTW - The latest Section 5 does have this as an approved option for nut plates.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
2017 Dues Paid
Old 12-16-2017, 11:25 PM

Dimple the things. Depending on your dimple dies you might have to/find it useful to grind down one side of the die so that might otherwise interfere with the nut part of the nutplate when squeezing. The ears will probably bend a little. They bend back.

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)