- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
My comments regarding my V6 experience were probably uncomfortable for Rainer. Yet he responded with informative dialog and professional tone. Although an MGL user, my frustration with the V6 caused me to go with a G3x suite for latest project. That said, I would trade in my V6 for V16 at factory cost for my flying -3B.
****THREAD DRIFT****
Larry,
My experience also caused me to go with the G3X in my latest product. Not only can I not use my v6 to talk to approach, my biggest driving force was due to the fact that the AHRS is completely unreliable. Altitude jumps all over and flying straight and level the ahrs just tilts side to side randomly. Absolutely useless. The altimeter on the MGL bounces around the same on the ground at zero airspeed the same as it bounces in the air. Flying straight and level Video https://youtu.be/aGaQXw0_Mig
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
Would you perform this adjustment on the ground (engine off) or in flight? Or does it make a difference.

I have a V6 in a very high-noise open cockpit and am still trying to tweak the settings.
The mic gain is done on the ground with engine off.

That makes sure the VOX or Vogad get the correct input levels so they work at their designed operating points.

The level of the VOX (or Vogad) is set in flight. Normally you find the right position and never touch it again.

Rainier
Old 11-02-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
****THREAD DRIFT****
Larry,
My experience also caused me to go with the G3X in my latest product. Not only can I not use my v6 to talk to approach, my biggest driving force was due to the fact that the AHRS is completely unreliable. Altitude jumps all over and flying straight and level the ahrs just tilts side to side randomly. Absolutely useless. The altimeter on the MGL bounces around the same on the ground at zero airspeed the same as it bounces in the air. Flying straight and level Video https://youtu.be/aGaQXw0_Mig
OK you have the Explorer Lite there. This has a built in AHRS but has support for an external one in case the internal one cannot be used. The AHRS (like all of them) is sensitive to vibration which in some cases makes installation into a panel problematic. Fitting an external one like our SP-7 or the high grade SP-9 fixes that.

But before you do that - go into your AHRS setup menu (on the ground) and select to reset the gyro biases - check if that fixes the issue.

if the horizon does not behave with the aircraft stationary and after you have done the bias reset then we need to replace that gyro chip.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
I sure hope it works better than my V6. Great vswr and unusable freqs all across the band. Didnít really get anywhere with tech support. Been like that since the day is was installed a year and a half ago. Is there any trade in value?
Unusual - what do you mean with unusable frequencies ? No RX, interference on some frequencies or problems with TX on some frequencies (like howling, echo or distortion) ?

Answer will have to wait until Monday, preparing to leave to spend a few days in hospital (nothing serious, just one of those "male" things...).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 AM

Rainier- I will PM you directly so as to not derail this thread anymore.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Do you have a price for the radio?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 AM

The V16 and Razor head has now been shipping for a week or so.
I have updated the website at www.MGLAvionics.co.za/vhf.html with more info and also internals of the V16 with a description of what is going on inside. The V16 is quite a bit more "open" than our previous radios which the techies among you may appreciate.

I am not in control of pricing in countries other than my own. In the U.S. I'd expect a price in the $1000 region including the Razor touch screen head. A bit under with the 2.25" head and a lot under if you connect it to an iEFIS as head.

Here in South Africa, from the factory the price is R6759 for the V16 and R3237 for the Razor head. These are South African Rands and include the 14% sales tax applicable here. The Vega head should be available in February - it has entered production now and I'd estimate a price of around R2500.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM

$1000USD sounds pretty good and that's a 33% markup for the US dealer, and I'm sure they aren't paying the SA retail price.

Anyone get pricing and availability out of MGl USA yet? I haven't, but I have some time before I need to purchase a radio.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:17 PM

Now you have my attention. The price is good but the Razor control head looks simply awesome. I just perused the Razor control head manual. MGL has not been resting on it's laurels. A very intriguing user interface. I think they have been listening to their customers about simplifying advanced technology. And then some. All the while 10watts out. Control panels in parallel (front and back in a tandem). CAN bus. This is very hard to ignore. I love the innovation and keeping competition alive in the marketplace. The V16 might show up in one of my panels soon.

Jim
Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM

I would love to hear more about the upcoming N16 nav radio.

Rainier - when you have a moment to spare, would you mind sharing here an outline of the N16's capabilities and interfaces, please?