- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Default MGL V16 transceiver about to be released

The V6 and V10 radios where based on an original MGL design many years ago that was never put into production. Subsequently another South African company called South West electronics took on the original hardware design and packaged it into the V10 and then V6 formats. MGL itself provided the firmware. These radios where then sold under the MGL brand name.
This arrangement has come to an end a year ago. The V6 is still available through MGL Avionics in the USA but is no longer a branded MGL product. Ownership of the IP has passed to South West electronics.

Thus a year ago MGL started the design process of a new radio to be called the V16 - this time a true MGL product, fully designed and manufactured in house.
The first production batch of the V16 is now ready to be released.

Here are the bullet points:

1) 10W+ TX power, very high efficiency, low DC power needs.
2) Built in SWR meter for antenna checks and power measurents
3) World's first fully digital airband receiver, easily surpassing all required certification requirements for any receiver class. Based on direct conversion I/Q zero IF technology. No spurious receptions, excellent sensitivity, selectivity and large signal handling abilities. Very high audio quality, zero distortion. 8.33Khz and 25Khz channel spacing with full support for offset carrier operations in each.
4) Impulse noise detection and removal (removes typical ignition noise and many other noise sources from received signal).
5) Recording and simple playback of received transmissions.
6) Two circuit intercom, fully digital 24bits. Newly developed noise gating combines the best features of a traditional VOX and MGL's Vogad into a single, simple to use and highly effective system.
7) Independent RX and intercom volume controls.
8) Split module design. Transceiver body can be used stand alone with any MGL iEFIS G3 or combined with either a 2.14" head or a 3.1/8" head. Both heads are color and the larger one has a touch screen as well. You can also use multiple heads and connect to EFIS at the same time.
9) With any of the two heads, the V16 is protocol compatible with industry standard protocols (selectable in head setup). Note that NAV/COM protocol compatibility requires the MGL N16 navigation receiver which should be available by February.
10) Lowest cost of any COM transceiver available, combined with N16 lowest cost of any NAV/COM available.

Manuals including ICD for third party use at www.mglavionics.co.za/vhf.html

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Default V6 trade in allowance ?

How much credit allowed to trade in my V6. Hopefully the 16 is MUCH easier to get functioning with regard to VOX/VOGAD /Hot mike options ?
Clinton, IN
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 AM

How heavy is the smaller control head?

Is there any provision to mount the body directly to the head so that it doesn't need cables or a separate mount?

Thanks,
Dave
Rv-3B, now skinning the fuselage
Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
How much credit allowed to trade in my V6. Hopefully the 16 is MUCH easier to get functioning with regard to VOX/VOGAD /Hot mike options ?
V6 is pretty simple to setup. Before you do you MUST make sure your microphone level is correct. The easiest way to do this is to press PTT on an unused frequency and talk - take note of the side tone level and compare with the level when the PTT is not pressed.
If the intercom (without PTT) sounds softer - increase the microphone gain, if it is louder, decrease it.

This is crucial so either the VOX or one of the Vogad systems operates at the designed levels.

Once that is done select the desired intercom (Vogad medium would usually be the one for an RV or use the VOX) and adjust the level until the cockpit noise goes away (usually done at cruise).

Note: If you have an ANR headset do NOT use the vogad. Use VOX.

The V16 now only has a single VOX setting. The Vogad is "woven" into the fabric of the VOX and operates only around the switching point (so it actually never switches hard). Also very tolerant to microphone levels - but they should still be set right of course for optimum performance.
The V16 has a really powerful processor able to perform around 200 million floating point operations per second peak - all the audio and receiver signal processing is done using maths - very fast and very accurate.
It's a different league to the V6 - also a nice reflection just how fast processors are developing and are getting quite scary actually...
2 years ago I could only dream of such a beast. Now I'm using them.

The V16 is a great radio - I'm quite proud of it if you will allow me that statement. It has cost me a year and a lot of gray hair. But it was worth it in the end.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
V6 is pretty simple to setup. Before you do you MUST make sure your microphone level is correct. The easiest way to do this is to press PTT on an unused frequency and talk - take note of the side tone level and compare with the level when the PTT is not pressed.
If the intercom (without PTT) sounds softer - increase the microphone gain, if it is louder, decrease it.

This is crucial so either the VOX or one of the Vogad systems operates at the designed levels.

Once that is done select the desired intercom (Vogad medium would usually be the one for an RV or use the VOX) and adjust the level until the cockpit noise goes away (usually done at cruise).

Note: If you have an ANR headset do NOT use the vogad. Use VOX.

The V16 now only has a single VOX setting. The Vogad is "woven" into the fabric of the VOX and operates only around the switching point (so it actually never switches hard). Also very tolerant to microphone levels - but they should still be set right of course for optimum performance.
The V16 has a really powerful processor able to perform around 200 million floating point operations per second peak - all the audio and receiver signal processing is done using maths - very fast and very accurate.
It's a different league to the V6 - also a nice reflection just how fast processors are developing and are getting quite scary actually...
2 years ago I could only dream of such a beast. Now I'm using them.

The V16 is a great radio - I'm quite proud of it if you will allow me that statement. It has cost me a year and a lot of gray hair. But it was worth it in the end.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
<Need Like Button Here!> Thanks MGL! Putting V6 in my Sonerai IIL right now (the V16 sounds cool though ;-) )...
Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
How heavy is the smaller control head?

Is there any provision to mount the body directly to the head so that it doesn't need cables or a separate mount?

Thanks,
Dave
Rv-3B, now skinning the fuselage
The Vega head is about the same weight as any of the other Vega instruments - around 50 grams or so. Very light. Any lighter and it would float...

No there is no plan to merge the heads and the body. There is so little wiring needed between head and body there is no real point. There is no separate mount or bracket needed as the body has simple mounting flanges.

The idea is to mount the body away from the panel anyway - which neatly takes the audio wiring away from the panel.

Also this is a fairly powerful transmitter with a guaranteed deep modulation (since it is all digital controlled). Makes sense to keep antenna cables short and away from anything else. The remote mount makes that possible.
Also shorter antenna cable means more power at the antenna - good quality RG58 looses around 0.35W per three foot (assuming 10W produced at 127Mhz). The V16 typically produces just under 12W (we just call it 10W as that is guaranteed).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM

I sure hope it works better than my V6. Great vswr and unusable freqs all across the band. Didnít really get anywhere with tech support. Been like that since the day is was installed a year and a half ago. Is there any trade in value?
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM

I welcome this news from MGL. They are always innovating and bringing new products to market. I have experience with their Stratomaster altimeter/encoder instrument (pre Vega) and XTreme EMS engine monitor. I would even say that their EMS is the only electronic engine monitoring system I have flown behind that behaved very steady and well compared to the competition with constant connector issues and wonky indications. That's a subjective statement as engine monitoring systems are more sensitive to a proper installation than other aircraft instumenation. No issues with my EMS installation in a Pitts with the Stratomaster.

However, the main reason I am glad to hear they are now manufacturing their own in-house V16 transceiver is because of my experience with the V10. It was in a word, disappointing. Verging on awful. Once set up it was okay but not a radio for your average Joe pilot. I came away from the experience convinced that any future communication transceiver I buy has to be easy enough to use that my grandmother could turn it on, set the volume and transmit, regardless of headset. Kind of like the KY97A, Icom, GTR 200 or older legacy comms. Glad to hear the new V16 automates many of the settings so they are transparent to the user. It has to be better having MGL designing and building their own stuff rather than a vendor. And I would hasten to guess MGL is putting some of the valuable feedback concerning the earlier models to work with the V16.

Meanwhile I am very interested in seeing the unit. Some of y'all need to buy one and try it so we can get some reports from the field.

Jim
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Rainer deserves a lot of respect

My comments regarding my V6 experience were probably uncomfortable for Rainer. Yet he responded with informative dialog and professional tone. Although an MGL user, my frustration with the V6 caused me to go with a G3x suite for latest project. That said, I would trade in my V6 for V16 at factory cost for my flying -3B.
Clinton, IN
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
Would you perform this adjustment on the ground (engine off) or in flight? Or does it make a difference.

I have a V6 in a very high-noise open cockpit and am still trying to tweak the settings.
Milwaukee