Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Oh! I was under the impression that the rebates were all used up. Are there still rebates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Here, let me Google that for you:

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/
"Thank you for participating in the FAA's rebate program. We are no longer accepting new reservations, but if you have an existing reservation, please complete the final steps:"
Quote:
I guess I don't know what that means. I didn't think you could have a reservation prior to installing the unit. They just started shipping a few weeks ago, after the note you quote was posted. So how did RVbySDI get a reservation?
In the link I supplied, near the bottom, check out the 5 steps. You could have reserved your Rebate before installing the ADS-B equipment.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 01-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:46 PM

I got a reservation the day before the program expired last September and set the installation date as far into the future as I could, 150 days, which turned out to be 2/11/18. I chose one of the approved systems listed, knowing that I could change that when I applied for the rebate. I had ordered a GDL-82 from SteinAir. The FAA sent me a reminder yesterday that I had an unclaimed rebate, stating that the program will close for rebate claims after 2/15/18.

My GDL-82 in enroute from SteinAir now, so I hope to get it installed within the next couple of weeks so I can complete the steps to get the rebate.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Same here

Same approach as alcladrv, GDL 82 is now listed on FAA form. Unit arrived from Stein yesterday so I hope to install next week (assuming the weather warms up a bit). I have until 2/8/18 to "get er dun"
Figs
Old 01-13-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't know what that means. I didn't think you could have a reservation prior to installing the unit. They just started shipping a few weeks ago, after the note you quote was posted. So how did RVbySDI get a reservation?
As the others mentioned, the deadline that expired was the "reservation" for the rebate. The expiration was only for reserving your rebate. So back in early September about a week before the end date for reserving the rebate I aplied for the rebate. Once that was done I had to provide an installation date. Again as others had done, I set that date as far in advance as I could. That then allowed me 90 days from the installation date to actually aply for the rebate. That allowed a window of time that set my expiration for the end of January. So here we are and I made it within the time allowed. Of course if you did not make the reservation before the September 18th end date, well, sorry to say, none of this information will help out.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Default GDL 82 Installation

Started installation today thinking it would be a breeze, and as usual it is never as easy as you first think . Easiest power solution for me would be the main bus versus the essential bus as I have a spare fuse slot and it is right next to where I plan to mount the unit, whereas the essential bus is further away and is full. Question is what is the fail-safe mode of the GDL 82, if the unit loses power does the transponder output just pass through without the added data?

I am also assuming 90 deg connectors are fine for the coax connections from the 82 to the antenna and the GPS puck.

For those yet to install you do need coax, BNC and TNC connectors and space to coil up any excess GPS coax (apparently GPS cable has to be at least 6.5 feet long to provide the correct load).
Figs
Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Started installation today thinking it would be a breeze, and as usual it is never as easy as you first think . Easiest power solution for me would be the main bus versus the essential bus as I have a spare fuse slot and it is right next to where I plan to mount the unit, whereas the essential bus is further away and is full. Question is what is the fail-safe mode of the GDL 82, if the unit loses power does the transponder output just pass through without the added data?

I am also assuming 90 deg connectors are fine for the coax connections from the 82 to the antenna and the GPS puck.

For those yet to install you do need coax, BNC and TNC connectors and space to coil up any excess GPS coax (apparently GPS cable has to be at least 6.5 feet long to provide the correct load).
Figs
Hello Figs,

The installation manual recommends that the Mode C transponder and GDL 82 share a common breaker and be powered on/off together (see wiring diagram on page 10-2), so loss of power to just the GDL 82 is something the installation attempts to avoid.

It is best to consider the Mode C transponder and connected GDL 82 as a single system, any failure of which would cause loss of the combined function. This is no different from having an all-in-one ADS-B Out transponder that suffered a failure.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Default Installation, early test of GDL82's GPS antenna signal strength

I've removed an old Trimble/Terra GPS antenna from the top of the fuselage behind the slider. The former antenna left a tiny cable, like an RG 174/U cable from the fuselage top to my panel. I've installed the new antenna in the same top fuselage location:

I'm running a temp cable setup to a 496 in my panel area. In order to match up to the existing tiny coax for a test I built up this connector stack to get Male TNC to Female SMA:

At the other end of the cable (in my panel) I had a push-on SMB connector. I built up the following set of connectors and cable to connect to the BNC connector of a 496:

Many connectors and rough connections were needed for my test to get the new antenna connected to the 496. Parked between two rows of metal hangers the 496 got excellent signal strengths on many satellites through the new antenna and this electrical maze. Then I tested the reception by covering the antenna with a large metal garbage can lid, a thin sheet of galvanized steel, and a metal lid from a cookie tin. Each of those covers reduced the signal indications by approx 1/3 to 1/2 of the unobstructed view. The 496 still calculated a valid location.

Conclusion, my antenna and test rig indicates to me that my new antenna is very good and I wouldn't be too concerned if there were another antenna at 8.999 inches from the new antenna. It's possible the GDL82 may have good position lock even if an adaptor is part of the antenna cable connection.

Your Mileage May Vary!

Carl
Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Figs,

The installation manual recommends that the Mode C transponder and GDL 82 share a common breaker and be powered on/off together (see wiring diagram on page 10-2), so loss of power to just the GDL 82 is something the installation attempts to avoid.

It is best to consider the Mode C transponder and connected GDL 82 as a single system, any failure of which would cause loss of the combined function. This is no different from having an all-in-one ADS-B Out transponder that suffered a failure.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve
OK makes sense, thanks.
Figs