- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Jim,

Yes, you can configure the GDL 82 to transmit in anonymous mode anytime the transponder code is set to 1200.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve. I have a question about the WAAS Gps. Can this gps provide position
For IFR instruments? If so, which would be a viable experimental solution? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Gil, you say

´´Works in the US....no trip to Canada''

Did I miss something...is that new box program to stop working at the border..

Bruno
The GDL-82 is a UAT-OUT device so only transmits on 978Mhz. UAT is not an ADS-B compliant solution acceptable anywhere else in the world. At least not yet.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 07-20-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM

In lieu of using the GDL-82's internal WAAS GPS receiver can a panel mount GNS 430W provide position source? This would eliminate a need for the GDL-82's external GPS antenna.

Jim
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Compliant out is not required anywhere else in the World. Yet. Or here in the USA. Yet. Regardless, the GDL-82 is a fully 2020 compliant ADS-B out solution good enough for the FAA to qualify for the $500 rebate. I know of very few RVs that fly over 18000', have 12" N Numbers or cross the pond. Mexico and Latin America are decades from mandatory compliance despite what our domestic beaucrats say. While the device is a UAT solution transmitting on 978Mhz it can be configured to send out a message telling the ground stations the aircraft is capable of recieving both 978Mhz and 1090mHz "in" signals. So no matter what "in" solution the aircraft owner chooses (or later changes on a whim) there is no missing FIS-B or TIS-B data. Combine full "in" capability with this 2020 compliance device and VFR anonymous mode and rebate eligibility and this is an awesome combination. Since the transponder or static system are not disturbed in the installation the work should be able to be done by an EAB owner or regular A&P without needing to have a repair station sign off.

I predict these things are going to sell like hotcakes.

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 07-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
In lieu of using the GDL-82's internal WAAS GPS receiver can a panel mount GNS 430W provide position source? This would eliminate a need for the GDL-82's external GPS antenna.

Jim
Hello Jim,

Yes, the GDL 82 has an RS-232 port that can accept ADS-B+ position data from the following WAAS GPS navigators:
  • GTN 6XX/7XX series navigators with software v6.21 or later
  • GNS 4XXW/5XXW series navigators with software v5.30 or later
  • GNS 480 navigator with software version 2.4 or later

When you are able to take advantage of this, the installation gets even easier.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirard7a View Post
Hi Steve. I have a question about the WAAS Gps. Can this gps provide position
For IFR instruments? If so, which would be a viable experimental solution? Thanks.
Hello Al,

No, the WAAS GPS inside the GDL 82 is only used by the GDL 82.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM

Within about 100nm of the Canadian border I can get the ADSB in signals through my Stratus. This covers almost all my Canadian needs and I have cancelled my satellite XM weather. As far as I know the we, in Canada, are not going to be using the ADBS system in the near future. I understand that to fly into the USA after 2020 I will need the equipment in my aircraft. Prices have fallen off a lot in the last couple of years and I am going to wait a bit longer before I make the change.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK117 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse and this product looks very promising, but in anonymous mode does ATC still get an A/C identifiable code they can track?
I'm honestly not as concerned about other aircraft knowing who I am as I am Uncle Sam riding along.

Your website states that it de-identifies you to other aircraft but it doesn't say if ATC can identify you.
Hello Bryan,

Good question.

The GDL 82 configuration holds your aircraft registration (N) number and a 24 bit ICAO code, the latter of which is computed from the aircraft N number in the U.S. In normal operation, both ICAO address and Flight ID identify your aircraft to others.

When the GDL 82 is set to the configured transponder VFR code (1200 in U.S.) and is put into anonymous mode (via an installed switch that grounds pin 5), the GDL 82 transmits a random ICAO address (and identifies it as a temporary address within the address type field) instead of the aircraft's assigned ICAO address and transmits a temporary Flight ID of "VFR" instead of the aircraft's N number.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by g3xpert : 07-30-2017 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added more details to anonymous mode.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post

Jim
Not clear on why one would want to bypass this internal position source in the 82 for a panel mounted one. I think that is the major item in this product that makes it an attractive solution. If one already had a qualified panel mounted position source then getting a UAT "out" would be much less expensive than the 82 product. Although there would be the installation cost.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
Not clear on why one would want to bypass this internal position source in the 82 for a panel mounted one. I think that is the major item in this product that makes it an attractive solution. If one already had a qualified panel mounted position source then getting a UAT "out" would be much less expensive than the 82 product. Although there would be the installation cost.
Dennis,

Good question. My thinking is why drill more holes, attach more antennas and add weight and drag to your aircraft than is needed? Add in the extra labor and installation of said antenna. If you have an existing approved position source all you have to do is run one 2-conductor shielded wire from the panel mount navigator to the GDL-82. Woola. Clean, easy, light and quick. Very elegant for aircraft with a TSO'd WAAS navigator in the panel. And unlike other UAT out products there is no trip to an FAA repair station to re-certify your transponder and encoder.

If you know of a cheaper, easier way for an aircraft with or without an existing approved TSO'd GPS navigator to comply with the 2020 ADS-B out mandate while being eligible for the $500 FAA rebate (so that GDL-82 parts come in at $1,300) I am all ears. I am surprised you have found a more economical 2020 compliant solution for any certified or experimental airframe.

I think Garmin listens to us, their customers. Smart like a fox.

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 07-21-2017 at 11:17 PM.