- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriver Ken View Post
I simply slid a 12" #30 drill into one end of the plastic tubing and masking taped them together. Other than that it was simply long arms moving the tubing through the channel. Eazy Peazy.
We're on this step right now and finding that 48" of clear tube isn't enough to reach both the J-channel and the 2nd rib from the wing root - did you have anything like this, or am I doing something wrong? Also unclear on how to reach far enough into the wing to tie wrap the tube to the J-channel along the way.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Default FYI......

Totally off topic...
I noticed on your web page your discussion about tracking time for maint. and that tach. time was the preferred method for engine maint.

That is true for a Lycoming, etc., but not for a Rotax.
Rotax specifically specifies that Hobbs time be used.
The reason is that low speed operation (particularly idling) is not consider a lower wear operation mode. In a Rotax it is actually higher because iddling causes a higher level of wear in the gear box.

That is why the settings file from Van's doesn't have the tach time configured on the display.

Posting here so that people that refer to your web site don't misconstrue your information as being standard procedure.....

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
We're on this step right now and finding that 48" of clear tube isn't enough to reach both the J-channel and the 2nd rib from the wing root - did you have anything like this, or am I doing something wrong? Also unclear on how to reach far enough into the wing to tie wrap the tube to the J-channel along the way.
I do not remember having any issues. We simply followed the instructions. Re. the tie wrap. We did what we could but I don't think we could reach all locations.
RV-9A O-360/CS - SOLD
RV-12 SOLD
AA1C 150HP - FLYING
Old 05-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriver Ken View Post
I do not remember having any issues. We simply followed the instructions. Re. the tie wrap. We did what we could but I don't think we could reach all locations.
Okay, thanks. We'll do what we can with the J-channel once we get a longer length of hose. 48" just doesn't reach once we lead it back to the J-channel.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Talking AOA install

I pulled the tubing thru the J channel using a spare hinge wire. Then applied a little RTV at each rib with a dab on the end of a remodeled fishing pole. I considered it my first attempt at 'fly fishing'....sorry
Finish kit done
Avionics ordered

"I have enough money to last me for the rest of my life.
As long as I don't buy anything"
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Yea, that's what we did also and we found that it wasn't quite ideal.
The airflow and surrounding pressure around the pitot tube is apparently not the same as it is down at the surface of a large wing panel.
We found that the stagnation point at high angles of attack was getting close enough to the AOA port that it began to have influence on accuracy.

I think our final position is more like 20 degrees.
I intend to build in a boom mount Dynon pitot/AoA: through the spinner.
(http://www.dynonavionics.com/aoa-pitot-probes.php)

It saves the hassle of connecting and reconnecting the wings (I'll dismantle the RV after every flight), and saves the risk of leaks.
Since the boom isn't underneath 'a large area such as the wing' the angle of incoming air is to be expected more 'clean'.

What does VAF think of this possibility, please?
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
What does VAF think of this possibility, please?
Well, since it was a post of mine that you quoted, I will offer that I think you would be adding a lot of work complexity and expense for zero benefit.

If the RV-12 AOA kit is installed per the instructions (specifically, the port is properly located) the system works great, and there is no connections to deal with when removing or installing the wings... the connection for the pitot port happens automatically.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Default OK, will this work with the original D-180

or only with the Skyview? And is there finally a part number for the new canopy latch?

Wayne 120241/143WM
Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee-flyer View Post
or only with the Skyview? And is there finally a part number for the new canopy latch?

Wayne 120241/143WM
This style AOA port was first used on D-180's by many RV-12 owners so the kit should work.

The first finish kit hasn't shipped yet but the orders people at Van's may be able to help since it is getting close.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon