- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
I would love to hear more about the upcoming N16 nav radio.

Rainier - when you have a moment to spare, would you mind sharing here an outline of the N16's capabilities and interfaces, please?
Sure,
bit of history first. I wanted a NAV radio for a long time. But with our previous arrangement (where a third party was doing the hardware implementation and production) nothing ever happened. Just talk and dummy prototypes for Oshkosh. That was embarrassing me no end.
Anyway, that changed.
The V16 was also supposed to be the PCB for the NAV radio (just leave out the transmitter and fit another filter for the glide slope and different firmware). That did come to pass (so the N16 does exist) but I decided to make a dedicated PCB for it to simplify manufacturing (and it also allowed a more optimized input stage for the receiver without having to compromise).
The production prototype is currently being put together - I'll still fiddle with the software a bit but the actual NAV stuff is done (and working to an exceptional degree of accuracy due to fully digital, drift free implementation. There are times I just love applied maths. This is one of those times).

So what does it do ? Quite boring really - ILS, glide slope and VOR. Dual VOR or single ILS with glide slope. Station morse decoder, the usual audio out (that nobody really uses). Pretty similar to what your run of the mill NAV radio is supposed to do...

If you are not planning to connect it to an MGL EFIS - via either the Razor or Vega head you have RS232 emulating a you know who NAV radio and if you spring for a V16 as well - then it looks just like your standard old NAV/COM. In the control head select if it should look like a older SL30 or one of the newer types.

Price - since it is basically a V16 minus the transmitter parts - it follows it should be somewhat less than a V16...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Default They sound interesting

I'd like em both. How can I order here in the US?
regular VAF donor despite being exempt

Last edited by patterson : 01-04-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:45 PM

It's taken awhile for me to respond to Rainier's post. Mostly because I can hardly believe what I've read. We might finally have a GOOD nav radio that doesn't have you-know-who's brand name on it. This is exciting!

Thank you, Rainier, for sharing these details, and for pushing ahead with this project.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Vega UI

Robert,
Hey I was wondering if the UI on vega comm head supported channels like the V6. The v6 UI works great for my use.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbryanolsen View Post
Robert,
Hey I was wondering if the UI on vega comm head supported channels like the V6. The v6 UI works great for my use.

Thanks
Yes it has - the Vega gives you 50 channels but can also be used in channel modes when certain GPS systems are connected that can download airport based frequency lists - in which case the channel selection is two stage - select airport, then select desired frequency. If only one airport has been downloaded by the GPS then step one is skipped.

The Razor is similar but gives you 100 channels (the processor used has more memory...).

The N16 NAV radio is looking good, ready to put into production now - just need to get Ria to work on the BOMs and get production scheduled. We tried out a new contract manufacturer and used them on the V16 first time. A smaller company but very keen on the work - they did a very nice job so I will be using them on the N16 as well.
Firmware is at the stage which you could call "refinement". Mostly a lot of tweaking and testing against DO-196, DO-195 and DO-192. Quite time consuming stuff.

Once that is out of the way my grubby paws are itching to finish the T16 1090 ES transponder - that is in built up prototype stage with some firmware implemented but I have not fired up the 200W transmitter yet - will need to take a deep breath before I do that - those things are really expensive.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the progress update, Rainier. I'm excited to hear feedback on the production N16 units.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM

This sounds great and the timing is perfect for me. Might end up with V16, N16 and T16 in my 14.

Rainier, would you mind also writing some more about the MGL ECB (probably best in a new thread), have I understood it correctly that with that installed, I can not only use the MGL ECB switch kit but basically any simple switch like a button on my Tosten grip to turn on/off devices with this?
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
This sounds great and the timing is perfect for me. Might end up with V16, N16 and T16 in my 14.

Rainier, would you mind also writing some more about the MGL ECB (probably best in a new thread), have I understood it correctly that with that installed, I can not only use the MGL ECB switch kit but basically any simple switch like a button on my Tosten grip to turn on/off devices with this?
A little of topic but since you asked it here - a quick answer: Yes. As long as the switch you are using is of the "latching" type and not a momentary push button (unless of course that is what you intend).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Super, thanx
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 01-12-2018, 08:07 PM

I've just fitted an iEFIS Explorer in my aircraft but am pondering VHF com replacement options. It currently has a reputable, but notoriously ignition-noise sensitive com radio (and a fairly noisy big fat round engine) which a huge amount of expensive and fruitless troubleshooting has been done on.

If the V16 has a good ignition noise filter it would very much perk my interest, as well as integrate perfectly with the EFIS and a replacement control head (the Vega). I think I'll wait for some pireps though. Been burned before, being an early adopter with other brands!