- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Steve,
My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground. I have read conflicting information about the need to level the plane when calibrating the GTX345 AHRS. Right now the Area 660 is displaying a nose down attitude in level flight. I do not see anywhere in the Area 660 manual information on how to Cage or calibrate this display to re-set it to level. Fore flight does have that function.
Is there a way to reset the attitude indicator, or do I need to level the plane and calibrate the GTX 345?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa38112 View Post
Steve,
My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground. I have read conflicting information about the need to level the plane when calibrating the GTX345 AHRS. Right now the Area 660 is displaying a nose down attitude in level flight. I do not see anywhere in the Area 660 manual information on how to Cage or calibrate this display to re-set it to level. Fore flight does have that function.
Is there a way to reset the attitude indicator, or do I need to level the plane and calibrate the GTX 345?

Thanks!
Hello,

If you are using a GDL 39 3D or GDL 51/51R/52/52R, you can issue a cage command on the 3D Vision page and reset the pitch angle in flight, but you can't do that with a GTX 345.

You will need to calibrate the GTX 345 attitude sensors with the aircraft at cruise pitch attitude with wings level.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa38112 View Post
My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground.
FWIW, I have weighed a number of nosegear model RV's, and have found the easiest way to level one is to lower the nosewheel, not to raise the mains. Run the front tire off the edge of the taxiway next to your hangar, and if necessary scrape some gravel away under the nosewheel until you can level the canopy rails.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Changinng Flight Catagory Colors

With Garmin Pilot on my i-Phone I can change the colors of airport flight categories to match what I am use to seeing (green for VFR and red for IFR). I can not find that option on the Area 660, but have to believe it is there if the app has it. Doe anyone know how to do this?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Aera 660

I'm new to the Aera 660 and i'm curious if i can overlay my over 250 waypoints i've uploaded over the VNC? i can see them on the Topo view at a certain zoom level (which would be good if i could see them further out) but nothing shows on the VNC? i've created a route and activated it and now i can see it on the VNC but i don't use the 250 waypoints for routing. i just need to seem the waypoints and my relative position to them.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Does this integrate with Dynon?

I bought a G660 for use as a portable, but have decided to install it in my F4 as a backup EFIS and a dedicated traffic screen. I also bought the GDL39 3D. Now I'm wondering. 1.) does the Dynon GPS interface with the 660?
2.) do I need to upgrade the antenna to get XM Weather and XM Radio?
3.) Is my GDL 39 still useful or do I need a 52 of 52r or something else?
4.) with ADSB, do I even need XM Weather?
regular VAF donor despite being exempt
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtt View Post
I'm new to the Aera 660 and i'm curious if i can overlay my over 250 waypoints i've uploaded over the VNC? i can see them on the Topo view at a certain zoom level (which would be good if i could see them further out) but nothing shows on the VNC? i've created a route and activated it and now i can see it on the VNC but i don't use the 250 waypoints for routing. i just need to seem the waypoints and my relative position to them.
Hello swixtt,

User defined waypoints are shown full time on the Map page and only when included in the active flight plan on the Enroute Charts and Terrain pages.

If you want the user waypoints to not be decluttered as soon when you range out on the Map page, you may go to the Map Setup, Point page and set the User Waypoint declutter range as high as you like (up to 800 nm).

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterson View Post
I bought a G660 for use as a portable, but have decided to install it in my F4 as a backup EFIS and a dedicated traffic screen. I also bought the GDL39 3D. Now I'm wondering. 1.) does the Dynon GPS interface with the 660?
2.) do I need to upgrade the antenna to get XM Weather and XM Radio?
3.) Is my GDL 39 still useful or do I need a 52 of 52r or something else?
4.) with ADSB, do I even need XM Weather?
Hello Ron,
1. Not sure which Dynon unit you have, but it isn't uncommon for these units to accept NMEA data from an Aera 660.
2. If you wish to receive SXM weather/music (as well as ADS-B traffic/weather and attitude), you will need a GDL 52 or 52R.
3. The GDL 39 3D can be used for ADS-B traffic/weather and attitude if you don't need/want SXM weather/music.
4. It is a personal choice whether you are happy with free ADS-B weather, or prefer SXM weather/music (which isn't free).

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM

Default Aera 660

That is great Steve, thanks for that. i'll try that declutter setup. any particular reason waypoints don't show on the VNC unless activated?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

OK, i figured that out... the numbers greater than 2nm were hidden down below. kinda obscure when looking for it and if you can scroll down. i'll keep a look out for that sneaky ability!

This is going to be huge. by the way, i stuffed Topo Canada into it and is stellar in map view!

Last edited by swixtt : 01-19-2018 at 10:07 AM.