VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM

Thumbs up

I built one of these, without plans, last month. I had seen pictures on VAF years ago, but when I searched for them they were all gone. It took me about three days in the shop and going to the airport to modify an redo to get it right. Iím pleased with how well it works. Larry (Larco) seems to have built his in less time than it takes me to get the welder ready. Excellent job Larry.:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 AM

I saw one of these Genie lifts on craigs list years ago for a few hundred dollars and grabbed it. Bolted a 3/4 plywood deck to the forks and cut a hole in it for the wheel to nest in. Works like a charm. Rated for 500 lbs and very stable. Also makes leveling a TD for weighing a simple task.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
A fine lift, but can't be stiff enough to confidently allow crawling around back in the tail. Remember, there is a big difference between stiffness and strength.

Structurally, the upright members have no significant base width, so they can flex on the base structure. The base structure itself has the wheels out on the ends of horizontal members...wavy wands in the stiffness context. And lateral stiffness of the carriage depends on the bending stiffness of the long rails.

Remember, the original product was designed with shipping in mind. If you're going to build your own, a simple redesign could improve its utility. At a minimum, substitute 1" x 2" 16ga for the 1x1 base members and carriage rails. I'd use 3 x 1-1/2 if I could get it in a light gauge, with the forward wheels between tabs on the 1-1/2 centerline. The single 1x1 rear upright (the one with the winch) would become two 1x1 uprights, pyramid fashion, extending to a point near the rear wheels. They're only loaded in tension/compression, so they only need a wider base. Space the carriage rails farther apart, so the arm with the rollers can be a length of rectangular tube rather than the 1/4 x 1-1/4 bar.
Dan, I two was concerned about side-to-side stiffness and plan to beef up the design for my version with a fourth leg similar to what you described.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 AM

I love my "tail-mate" but I don't rely on it for strength when crawling back into the tailcone. I lift the tail with the tail-mate and then place a sawhorse under the forward end of the tail spring.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I love my "tail-mate" but I don't rely on it for strength when crawling back into the tailcone. I lift the tail with the tail-mate and then place a sawhorse under the forward end of the tail spring.
I'm with Mel (and Dan, really....) - the TailMate is for lifting, a padded saw-horse is used if we're goign to get in the airplane. I don't crawl under a car that's just on a jack (without jack stands) either!

With an older (and aging...) spine, I won't let my TailMate go - too much twisting to lift RV tails by hand.

I'll have to take a picture of the MONSTER TailMate knock-off our former partner built for our Tundra. I could lift a small car with it......

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Default I designed the Tail-Mate!

I still have the original drawings I made when I designed the Tailmate.
My first opportunity to sell them was when I purchased a 10x10 space at SnF back in 2002. Sat there all week and didn't sell ONE unit! All I got was people taking pictures and saying they could build their own for less money. Then they were $179.00. All I said was...go right ahead...have at it. Let me know when you exceed $179 assuming you work for more than a dollar an hour. Everyone around where I live who had an experimental wanted one and was delighted to spend the money for one. My how times have changed. I am so enjoying this thread. For those who purchased one...Thanks for the support. For those that took pictures at SNF...How is the tailmate build coming along?
And lastly...NO! The TailMate WAS NOT designed to be stable and strong enough to crawl back in the the tail...Mel is right!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack3 View Post
My first opportunity to sell them was when I purchased a 10x10 space at SnF back in 2002. Sat there all week and didn't sell ONE unit! All I got was people taking pictures and saying they could build their own for less money. Then they were $179.00. All I said was...go right ahead...have at it. Let me know when you exceed $179 assuming you work for more than a dollar an hour. Everyone around where I live who had an experimental wanted one and was delighted to spend the money for one. My how times have changed. I am so enjoying this thread. For those who purchased one...Thanks for the support. For those that took pictures at SNF...How is the tailmate build coming along?
And lastly...NO! The TailMate WAS NOT designed to be stable and strong enough to crawl back in the the tail...Mel is right!
Great response... and thanks for chiming in. I joined the builder pool too late to purchase an original Tailmate; if you ever decide to market another, add me to your mailing list.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack3 View Post
It is a clever design, my compliments.

Just for clarification....is the Tail-Mate still in production and available to purchase? If so, I would be reluctant to build my own. If not........game on. I work for a lot less than a dollar an hour.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 01-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonDweller View Post
I built one of these, without plans, last month. I had seen pictures on VAF years ago, but when I searched for them they were all gone. It took me about three days in the shop and going to the airport to modify an redo to get it right. I’m pleased with how well it works. Larry (Larco) seems to have built his in less time than it takes me to get the welder ready. Excellent job Larry.:
Oh No, Ha, I was thanking Bruce for sending out plans which he had offered to do sometime ago, It was time consuming and fun, did take some extra time to modify for the fairing as well, a lot more than 3 days for sure.:-) The picture was shown as encouragement for others too. And to Wolfpack3, Thank you! Someone has to only build one to appreciate the design and effort you put into this

Last edited by Larco : 01-12-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:16 PM

Default trailer winch?

Is that a trailer winch on there?