What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT AP setting

Lan Vinh Do

Well Known Member
Hi
Does anybody have some setting that work well for the rv-10 autopilot
I have a grand rapid horizon hx with a trutrak digiflight II vsgv couple with the Horizon hx. I try to experiment but not have too much time. It work ok in flight but when i am dooing an approach, ils or vor, it become rapidly not too precise. I know it'S normal that when you are near the radio signal, it'harder for the autopilot but my sorcerer alone in my rv-7 was always right on the needle.

Thank You

Lan Vinh Do

I have the same setup including a G430W. I also find that on final when there is a little turbulence, the AP over corrects and flies the RV10 left and right of course.

This happens on both ILS and GPS VNAV approaches so I don't think it is related to radio navigation characteristics.

I too will be interested in any help with tuning this out of my GRT/TT setup.

Take a look at the GRT set up manual. It sounds like you need to reduce the localizer gain. You can do this in-flight, the changes take effect immediately.
I have an HX -Trio Pro combination, so my numbers may be different from yours. I need to go to the hangar to be sure, but I think my localizer gain is at 100% and it doesn't hunt much in turbulence.

Setting

I also notice that in flight at cruise, my wing always rock right and left at any setting. When in flip my switch for the input to come from 430 directly without passing by the efis, the plane is rock stable.
Any setting that work ok will be welcome.
Thank you

Lan vinh Do

As I said, I'm using an HX to drive a Trio Pro, not the TruTrak. But since you asked here are my HX settings (running software ver 5):

Turn anticipation 3 miles
serial Normal
Control profile Auto [I wonder if this should be OTHER?]
XT gain 50%
Roll gain 300%
Heading gain 200%
Localizer gain 100%
VOR gain 150%
Altitude hold 50%
Vertical speed 50%
airspeed 50%
glide slope 100%
Pitch activity 100%

Good luck with that. It Used to work. But after they started doing their own autopilot, I haven't been able to get things re-set to work with the new GRT software feeding a TruTrak a/p worth a ****. The TruTrak a/p control logic is all that we use anymore as it is rock solid.

Of course if you bypass the GRT you can't use the autopilot for an ILS, VOR, or Heading mode. You also lose the one button MISSED function for missed approaches.

As I said my HX controls my Trio just fine. Could it be the "control profile" in auto? My last software upgrade just put it that way; I would have guessed "other" but this works.

settings

Thank you bob for your info.
I will try these settings on my next flight

Today, i made a 3hre flight with 3 kids onboard. with the GRT driving the AP, they had motion sickness. In smooth air, no turbulence at all, the AP always roll right 2 second, then roll left 2 second. This is in Hdg, enav and gnav mode. I have try multiple setting today and always have the rocking left and right. The AP don't have too much problem intercept gps, course or VOR course. Still have some trouble with the ils but the most annoying thing is the rocking.

After multiple try, i used my switch to bypass the GRT and flew with the gpss of the trutrak. It was ROCK SOLID. The motion sickness of the kids stop. no rocking at all. I hope i will find good setting or GRT will come with something but for now, it's annoying.

I will try to send a e-mail to GRT.

GRT HX and Trutrak wing rock

I have exactly the same situation you describe here,
"In smooth air, no turbulence at all, the AP always roll right 2 second, then roll left 2 second. This is in Hdg, enav and gnav mode."
Very frustrating.

I've found that if I tap the stick when the turn is reversing, I can get it to stop for a minute or 2 but it invariably starts up again.

I too will send a note to GRT.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Bill Watson

This is a really old post but the problem persists!

The GRT HX/HXr EFIS driving the Trutrak autopilot causes a persistent wing rock in calm air. It's irritating and it does give passengers motion sickness.

Has anyone else experienced the problem and managed to fix it? This combination of products works fantastically EXCEPT FOR THE WING ROCKING!

(I have a longish thread on the GRT site on this same subject)

Not here

Nope, not an issue here. Today we flew 5 hours in our RV10 with HX and Trutrak autopilot in the smoothest air ever, and no issue with wing rock.

Nope, not an issue here. Today we flew 5 hours in our RV10 with HX and Trutrak autopilot in the smoothest air ever, and no issue with wing rock.
I?d ask about your settings in the HX but I recently gave my settings a rather thorough workout to no avail.

Would you be willing to share software versions and other specifics? I intend to do the same just so we can talk apples to apples.

A week after Oshkosh ends I intend to go back to GRT and ask for more help on this. It?s really become an annoying choice between motion sickness inducing wing rocking or additional button pushing with an occasional missed altitude change.

You guys that have problems with you Truetrack a/p, do you have your magnetometer installed behind the baggage bulkhead? If so, do you get magnetic interference from the rear passenger shoulder harness steel cables?
I was having heading problems while making turns and corrected this by replacing these cables with stainless cables. My system is Dynon.
Hope this help.

Michel

Having had the wing rock problem for a few years now, I'm glad to hear there is such a thing as not having it. Though I can fly a leg in slightly bumpy air that makes the problem almost undetectable, in smooth air the longest wing level flight will occur is perhaps 2-3 minutes. In all cases, switching from the GRT pass thru signal to the direct signal from the G430 makes the wing rock go away completely.

According to Jeff at GRT, the GRT simply passes the steering commands unchanged from the G430 to the TT. That is obviously not so based on my experience. Furthermore, the wing rock also occurs when flying in GRT Heading mode, that is, when the G430 isn't even involved.

Here are the details for my setup:
Trutrak DIIVSGV running Version 2.51 software
GRT HXr running Version 7.01 (current config)
GRT HX running Version 11.00 (previous config though the SW might have been an earlier version)
G430w running Version 5.20 (and GPS V5.00)

The connections are all ARINC connections.

I've sent Jeff at GRT videos and demo files of the wing rocking. He does not have any explanations so far and recently told me he would be able to continue his analysis for a few weeks (post OshKosh I assume). In any case, I will be posting the detail above in a thread I have going on over on the GRT board: http://www.grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3160

You guys that have problems with you Truetrack a/p, do you have your magnetometer installed behind the baggage bulkhead? If so, do you get magnetic interference from the rear passenger shoulder harness steel cables?
I was having heading problems while making turns and corrected this by replacing these cables with stainless cables. My system is Dynon.
Hope this help.

Michel
I do have my magnetometer behind the baggage bulkhead but I didn't install the steel cables at all. I reproduced the anchors for the front seats in the back figuring (correctly) that most of my flying would be 2+ baggage and that the rear harness could be removed when not used. Very handy.

Generally, I don't feel like I'm having any problem with the Trutrack stuff at all. I had to send it in 8 years ago for a software update and it has performed flawlessly since.

Back