What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

removable air dams

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I am installing new baffles on my -8 and remember reading that some people made the air dams in front of cylinders 1 and 2 removeable so the size could be adjusted easily. I have searched and read a lot of threads but cannot find any posts that show how it was accomplished.

Can someone direct me or describe the method you used? It would seem like nutplates are the logical method but it looks like there is not enough space and they would rub on the cylinders.

I used Pop Rivets on my RV-6. I would use nut-plates on my next build.

A little tip to reduce fretting corrosion, add a thin layer of RTV gasket / bathtub calking on the aluminum and allow it to dry before installation. I used BLACK RTV gasket compound smeared on as thin as I could get it with my finger. After 17-years and almost 3,000 hours, there is minimal to no wear in the aluminum temperature risers. If you ever change from one brand of cylinders to another, you may (like I did) to change your temperature risers as there was a complete change in temperatures. (ie: My lowest temperature Superior Cylinder is my highest temperature ECI Cylinder.)

Bill's are very nice, and the right way to do it if you are building new baffles. I had existing baffles and wanted to experiment with new dams - so I took the easy way out. I took a springy piece of aluminum and bent it into a slightly open "U" shhape that pushed in to the slots between cylinder fins. I then riveted it to a dam. I could ten "clip" the baffle in place, and easily pull it out after flying and deciding to trim it.

This clip-on dam worked so well that it is still in place two year sand a couple of hundred hours later.

HD Aluminum tape works the best. Engines perform different in the winter VS the hot summer months. Easy quick adjust and go.. :)

I used foil tape and kept trimming until I hit the desired temp. Then made an aluminum air dam to match and attached with screws and nuts.

c56e9afbfc3b282b465c9a0726348ee75584_cylinderOneAirDam041414.jpg

Last edited:
I've used the tape before, but was trying for a more finished look. I like N941WR's approach and Mike Hoover's picture sealed the deal. Thanks for the help.

Back