What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil usage and oil on belly

alcladrv

Well Known Member
In my O-360, I put in 6 quarts when changing oil then add a quart when it gets down to 5 quarts in 10 to 12 hours. After that, it will use about a quart every 7 - 8 hours until the next oil change.

I get some oil on the belly over 40 to 50 hours. Just wondering what others do to reduce oil on the belly. Anybody fill to 5 quarts at oil change and then add when it gets to 4 quarts?

6 quarts is too much for mine too

I have an 0-360 that puts oil on the belly with 6 quarts. I have learned that 6 qts is too much for my 360, and will quickly settle in at 5.75 qts. It takes mine about 15 hours to get down to 5 qts. At 5 qts, I add .75 qts to get it back to 5.75. I accept that with my breather exiting on the belly, I will have to wipe down the belly every so often.

As a check for myself, at every oil change, I do put 6 qts and just to watch and assure that it does in fact quickly settle in at 5.75 qts.

To answer your question, I have seen where some folks route their breather down the inside of their gear leg fairing where it drips into the airstream down by the wheel pant. I had that setup at one time, but as I type this, I cant recall why I removed that system.

Last edited:
Back