What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stripped oil pressure port plug

eatenbyagrue

Hi all,

I just started getting my engine ready to mount, and I've run into a bit of an issue. I'm trying to install the fitting for the oil pressure gage, and I can't get an allen plug out of the hole.

Ej755oq.jpg

It is on there incredibly tight. The first allen wrench I used snapped in half, and the second one just succeeded in stripping it.

Any tips for getting this out? My next attempt is to cut a slot in it (carefully!) with a dremel, but would love to hear alt options before getting close to my shiny engine with a cutting tool...

Thoughts?

Thanks
Josh

An application of heat (heat gun) and a high quality allen socket. You can also try a metric or torx bit. EZ grip (valve grinding compound) applied with those components will help "fill" the voids of a damaged fitting.

Wake up call.

You can also take a light ball-peen hammer and a drift. Tap all around the hole and on the plug itself. This is called waking up the threads in the shop. shoot some penetrating oil into the treads and tap as much as needed. Yes force an up sized Allen in if you need to, but go slow and keep up the light tapping tell it wakes up. You, know shock waves and all. Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Yes like mentioned, smack the top with a small ball peen hammer to shock the threads, use a heat generously to weaken the sealer. But DO NOT CUT A SLOT.

I have had this happen and boogering the top will ensure you remove the engine and take it to the machine shop to TIG weld a stud on it.

Get a high quality allen wrench, I have had to take one, cut off the end and put it on a socket. Additionally, take a larger size carefully file to mildly taper it and hammer it into the hole, there by swaging a new hole and having a tight fit for the next attempt.

Summary: beat, heat, and wedge a new wrench in there for the all-in attempt.

Good luck.

Why not use the other plug and install a 45 degree fitting before mounting engine. If my memory serves me correctly, the rear facing plug is a newer addition so before that we all used the plug on the side of the boss. That?s all there was. Larry

Why not use the other plug and install a 45 degree fitting before mounting engine. If my memory serves me correctly, the rear facing plug is a newer addition so before that we all used the plug on the side of the boss. That?s all there was. Larry

Yep. See if that yellow-painted plug just around the corner will come out easily. If so, you're done!

Butterfly impact

I think a socket head Allen filed to fit is a good suggestion. If you have the room to get it on, a butterfly impact is a good trick. Start with low pressure and rock back and forth. Slowly increase the pressure and try again. Rinse and repeat. I have had success with this method when others said it couldn't be done. Even pulled a broke Rosen stud using this method.

It looks like a very tight spot there. Be a dentist get that dremel out, choose right accessory and cut/drill a slot for a screwdriver. It's really a non event.

I think a socket head Allen filed to fit is a good suggestion. If you have the room to get it on, a butterfly impact is a good trick. Start with low pressure and rock back and forth. Slowly increase the pressure and try again. Rinse and repeat. I have had success with this method when others said it couldn't be done. Even pulled a broke Rosen stud using this method.

This does work.... I have used it many times.

A hand impact screwdriver works well too. Ask any Honda motorcycle mechanic.

Got it out!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. A buddy of mine came to the rescue with his SnapOn extraction set. It's a tool that looks like a short reverse drill bit on a socket. You hammer it into the rounded hole, then when you start to turn it the bit bites in. Worked like a charm. :D

Back