What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB port on panel for iPad power supply

scsmith

Well Known Member
I decided I wanted to put a USB power port in my panel to plug the iPad into. So I went shopping. Several brands available in the $30-$40 range. But there are also some that are in the $300 range. Why? Is there something I should know?

There are some nice marine grade ones on amazon that work perfectly so dont feel like you have to spend $100 on one.

Third the Stein- supplied $45 round 2 oulet above.

There are cheaper, but Amazon and cheaper can be hit or miss.

I used this one in my Midget Mustang.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J6Q94X/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the outlets powers a Stratux unit and the other is mounted as a charging port for my phone or iPad as necessary. Inexpensive and no noise.

I have the round version from Steinair in the RV-3. It also works well, but I actually prefer the other one because it requires such a small cutout for the USB port and you can hide the guts behind the panel.

Be cautious about those cheap $8 usb chargers. While they will charge most devices, they won't keep up with more power hungry devices if they are in use such as a iPad as a navigator or a copilot/wifey playing Candy Crush the whole trip. And they definitely won't handle keeping two devices topped off simultaneously.

The marine unit by Blue Sea that SteinAir sells is a quality part and does the job for $45.

Last edited:
When I was deciding this question 10 years ago, I installed a marine grade conventional cigarette type plug and then i use a two port USB adaptor plug within that. Two big advantages of the old school cig plug are using it for a inflator pump for my air mattress at OSH, (that drew a crowd asking me to inflate theirs) and also my little emergency tire inflator I carry in my trip kit. Both have been very handy at times. I also carry the original cigarette igniter in case I need it to start a fire at some point after reading about a stranded guy who MacGyver?d chewing gum foil in an outlet like that to ignite the tinder that started the fire that kept him alive until he was rescued.

The cheap ones can also introduce noise. Especially annoying if one is using a iPhone or Pad to pump music through the intercom system.

I have one from stein, it's made by blue sea, so same as mentioned above. I thought about Amazon, but was already ordering with Stein so it was just easier.

USB / USB-C

I just swapped out my cigarette lighter power plug for a dual USB plug a couple of weeks ago. I did the Blue Sea plug.

Then this past week, I finally upgraded my Ipad to the new Ipad Pro. I knew the Ipad Pro used a USB-C connector but what I didn't know is that the cable that comes with the Ipad is USB-C on both ends! So now I have to buy a USB-C to USB cable or dongle for the plane.

So what's my point? If you can find a dual plug with USB & USB-C you may find the USB-C very useful in the future.

Blue sea

I concur with the Blue Sea one, designed for a harsh environment, many boats also have noise sensitive devices. I also have a cigarette type too. With a ifly, a handheld com and a old battery eating avmap they come in handy.

Back