What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel landings

Robb

Well Known Member
I have around 200 landings in my RV 7 which oi bought last year. Besides that I have 2000 or so in my Avist Husky. I was taught 3 point only from the beginning of my training. I learned to wheel land the Husky with no issues. The RV is a little harder to wheel land without it bouncing. I was wondering is some of you guys that are more knowledgeable can post some information that may help. Three points are fine but I want to get wheel landings figured out.

I wheel land my 8 almost all the time and it really just boils down to practice. I bounced the first few but then I learned to keep a light touch on the controls, descend slowly into ground effect, and look all the way down at the end of the runway as I slowly settle to the ground. Energy and power management are also key; if you're bouncing then you might be landing a little too fast or you might be pulling too much power in the flare and dropping to the runway. If you can wheel land the Husky then you'll get the hang of doing so with your 7. The 7 just has springier and more sensitive landing gear.

I have a -9, which has longer main gear than your -7, thus is a bit more "springy".

Like you, I was taught three point landings were the only way to go and when I first finished my -9, with a smaller and lighter engine (read, tail heavy), it was very easy to three point. When I changed out the O-290 for an O-360, it became very difficult to three point and much easier to wheel land.

I now wheel land it 95% of the time, as you might have guessed.

The RV's tapered rod landing gear is very springy and if you touch down with almost any vertical speed, you will be catapulted back into the air. The trick is to fly it on and not drop it on. Keep practicing and you will be just fine.

I typically fly it in to ground effect and let touch from there, tail low. Some times I will lower one wheel and feel for the runway that way, rather than pushing forward. Once I feel one wheel touch, then I will give it some forward stick.

I hope that helps!

Wheel landings seem to be much easier on the airframe than 3-pointers. Plus, you are in much better control, have better visibility, and will be very proficient when it comes time to land in a cross wind.

Vic

So if you are trying to make a better wheel landing and an airport where runway length is not a problem and you are not landing on grass, a trick that I use when coming in for a wheel landing is just a touch of throttle during ground effect and a touch nose high landing. I have in the past stuck the wheels down when landing in a stiff cross wind but normal landing in "everyday" wind, try just a touch of nose high (almost 3 point) and then just a touch of constant throttle until you touch down before pulling the power back.

Now if i'm landing on grass or landing on a short runway, it's 3 point all the way.

One other comment - I have heard some pilots talk about being much faster when doing a wheel landing. That's not really necessary either. My -7 stalls at 50kts and I'm generally touching down on the main around 55kts ( I think :D I'm not really watching the gauges as much as feeling the controls). My point is you don't need to be going 70kts on touchdown to do a wheel landing. You may not be doing this but I have heard this from other pilots ....just remember the faster you are the springier (is that a word :rolleyes:) the gear legs are.

And obviously practice makes things much nicer :)

Wheel landings are like all other maneuvers. Once you get the picture and feel they are just normal.

As for landing an airplane, any airplane, carrying power, it just ain't normal.

In my 4 (and I learned in a 7) I do about 70kts over the numbers, power out, then come in a little tail low for my wheel landings. I hold it off until the mains touch, then give it forward stick to pin it down.

Trying to land more flat I'd just bounce back up (in the 4 or the 7). Tail low wheel works so well, I never 3 pt anymore (those I find harder even with the extended gear on the 4).

Thanks for the input I just think I need more practice it's a lot different than my Husky with 29 inch bush wheels !

Whether you fly it on, drag it in, or somewhere in between, all airplanes will have their own nuances. With practice, you should be able to wheel land at a wide range of speeds, in multiple configurations. Watch a formation section landing, greasing it on at 80 mph, then compare that to the Valdez STOL videos, dragging in at near stall on the mains. Different airplanes for sure, but the same techniques work. ( Not saying you should enter your RV at Valdez, or fly that close to the edge.)
It is all about sink rate, whether you sneak up on it (flyi it on), roll up on the mains, or drag it in under power, you can't bounce if your sink rate is low.

Wheel landings are fun and add a tool to your tool box. There is also nothing more rewarding than planting the stick on the upwind wheel in full control of that crosswind. Fun and fun to practice even with no wind.

Back