Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djgeib View Post
I havenít put too much thought into brakes as Iím not that far into my build yet. However I will soon be running brake lines.
Itís been my assumption that at our low landing speeds, that I would not have to worry much about what brakes I use. Are upgrading the brakes worth it. And if I do, what advantages do they bring me. I have heard good words about both Grove and Beringer. So real world experience from those who have used both standard brakes and upgraded ones would be beneficial for those of us who are about to make a decision on which brakes to purchase.
I tend to believe most problems with brakes are simply pilot induced. The stock brakes and wheels are more than adequate for most. Those I know who have had brake fade or lost seal issues;

Mind your feet when you taxi so you are not inadvertently applying them, especially long taxi's, and during roll out on landing.
You don't need to make that turn off if it means heavy sustained braking unless you have run out of runway.
If you run out of runway, you probably have landed way too fast, which is pretty common in RV's, especially those pilots who wheel land at high rates of speed as they have not learned how to wheel land at lower, slightly tail low, speeds.

Still, at that, moderate braking, for short duration should not be an issue. I do not understand why this occurred with the OP's brakes. Although I was trained in antiques that had little to no brakes, I have never had an issue when I needed to use them in my RV. I try to stay off of them, per my early training, and tend to apply them when needed in short even strokes rather than hard sustained stomps.

My brake pads last 300-400 hours. I routinely land at our home field which is 2100' and I easily have slowed without much if any braking within 1200 feet or less. I also fuel at a field and make the second turn off easily with moderate braking which is less than 1000'.

This is just my experience. All RV's are different and there are other factors to consider. Hope that helps.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Default Improper break in?

I have been reading many of the other posts on brakes - lots of great information.

This is the third set of pads, and the first time I have used Matco pads on my Cleveland brakes. Every two years I have replaced pads even though it hasn't worn to the limit.

I conditioned these pads like the last set, by dragging the brakes at 1800 rpm for a distance. That allowed me to hold position at high throttle. But the Matco instructions say to apply firm braking at 30 to 40 mph 2 or 3 times.

Is it possible the brake fading was from incorrect conditioning?

Or maybe the last landing wore off the glazing on the one pad?

Lastly, do the Matco pads smell worse than the Raptco pads when hot?