- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Default I needed an external antenna

Have the G5 mounted top center on my panel (RV9 tip up). Could not get a reliable signal without an external antenna.
2018 =VAF= donor
Old 05-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Too bad one can not share the signal from an existing antenna to multiple devices, like using a splitter type.
Oh but you can. GPS splitters exist and work PERFECTLY. I've been running a 1-2 splitter for over 2 years without an issue.

And to get back OT - I have a G5 mounted at the bottom of my panel and it seemed to work fine as long as I had shallow banked turns. Anything last 45 degrees would cause the signal to be lost. I linked the G5 to an external antenna and it's been rock solid since.
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
In a G3X installation does that required GPS data come from the MAPMX or the CAN bus? Or is it best to still have an antenna on the G5?
Hello Walt,

Yes, using MapMX from a GNS/GTN or using GPS data from the G3X/G3X Touch displays over the CAN bus are additional ways of getting high quality GPS data to the G5.

Using these external sources of GPS data does, however, place some reliance on these external sources and reduces the independence of the G5. Increased independence can be achieved by adding an antenna to the G5.

It isn't uncommon for a G5 in a G3X Touch system to have 3 sources of GPS data (internal GPS receiver, MapMX from GNS/GTN, and CAN bus). The G5 prioritizes the internal GPS receiver above all other sources when the signal is good.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Default G5x

Mine didnít work well until I went with the aux antenna on the glare shield.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Question Q. For Steve, G3xpert

Steve, if I am using a G5 as an independent back-up instrument without any other electrical connections in or out to any other data source, how important is the GPS function?

Is it simply an automatic backup if the pitot pressure fails?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Steve, if I am using a G5 as an independent back-up instrument without any other electrical connections in or out to any other data source, how important is the GPS function?

Is it simply an automatic backup if the pitot pressure fails?
Hello Gil,

The simple answer is yes, having a source of GPS data, internal or external, is important to allow the G5 to perform at it's maximum potential.

While the G5 is not TSO'd, we designed the G5 to meet the TSO-C201 performance requirements.

The TSO-C201 performance requirements are specified for both "normal" mode and "degraded" mode. Each manufacturer is allowed to define what is normal mode for their product, and for the G5, normal mode relies heavily on GPS data for maximum performance to avoid being dependent on air data which could suffer a blocked pitot. One of the reasons we designed a high performance WAAS GPS receiver into the G5 was so it could independently perform at the highest level with no reliance on external GPS sources.

The G5 meets these performance requirements both with GPS (normal mode) and without GPS (degraded mode), but the accuracy requirements for degraded mode are a little less stringent.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 05-19-2018 at 07:37 AM.