What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VHF 8.33 spacing radio drop in replacement for Garmin SL-40?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi guys.

By 1st of January next year, all VHF radios in Europee has to have the 8,33 frequency spacing.

I have a Garmin SL-40 and it seems to me that the closest SL-40 option Garmin offers, is the GTR-225.
It's slightly higher, so the panel has to be rebuilt some. Yuk!!

I have a separate intercom, so I don't need any intercom function with the new radio.

This swap must apply to ALOT of builders out there, so I'm wondering what you all have done?

A 2-year old post in this forum showed how a builder had done a drop-in swap, replacing a SL-40 with an Icom 210E:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125613&highlight=8.33

I'm planning to do the swap at my annual in September, so I'm wondering if there is any other sollutions on the market by now?
The above sollution looks perfect, but I have read about the different problems with Icom radios here on the forum, so I'm alittle reluctant towards Icom...

And how are the experiences with the Icom 210E for those of you who have that radio?

I'd ofcourse prefer a radio that is a direct drop-in replacement, so I don't have to change any antenna, wiring or do any soldering.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Trig TY96
I think they designed that with the SL40 replacement market in mind.

Rumour has it that they're working on a replacement for the SL30 nav/com too.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark.

I'll check the Trig and see what they have to say. And report back to this forum afterwards.

Back