VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Wayne, thanks for posting this. I don't have an answer to your question. I started my IFR, passed the written and was half way through the flight training when I came to the same conclusion as Rob - I really needed a FIKI Cirrus to fly IFR (in the mountains, where I live) within my risk tolerance.

Seeing as I can't afford such an airplane I decided to shelve the IFR, and have been second guessing that decision ever since. Reading your post gave me shivers, and I could easily imagine myself in such a situation - where none of us really want to be. This helps me live with the call I made.
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up Icing

Hi Wayne. I'm a professional weatherman so I'm not going to preach to you. Very simple rule when flying airplanes with no de-icing equipment. No where the Freezing Level is at all times, if you're not a 100% sure then don't go in to clouds. Weather is never a perfect science so gambling on it is dangerous business. Stay safe my friend.
Canada
Dues paid for 2016
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Thanks for input

some good stuff to ponder and chew on. Thanks for the input
R44 160 hrs
grounded by stroke Sept 3/07 - and back flying Feb 2010. Don"t ever take flying for granted !
Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 AM

I've had a number of ice encounters with my -6A and was fortunate to have two experiences where I could do some in-flight testing with a bit of ice on it after exiting the clouds and cancelling IFR well above terrain. I'm reluctant to share the data I gathered since it'd likely result in some unpleasant discussions as things are wont to do on here lately.

Anyways, know where the freezing level is, where tops are, and where the source of moisture is coming from. If the air mass is coming down from up north as is common in MN winters, the moisture is already frozen and so no ice. Conversely, autumn often sees cold temps but moist air coming from the south - liquid moisture, to be precise, which loves to stick to things when the temps get below freezing.

As one friend points out, "Ice belongs in drinks, not on wings". Words to live by.

Last edited by ChiefPilot : 06-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
Anyways, know where the freezing level is, where tops are, and where the source of moisture is coming from. If the air mass is coming down from up north as is common in MN winters, the moisture is already frozen and so no ice. Conversely, autumn often sees cold temps but moist air coming from the south - liquid moisture, to be precise, which loves to stick to things when the temps get below freezing.

As one friend points out, "Ice belongs in drinks, not on wings". Words to live by.
This is where a SKEW-T can be very helpful if you can learn to read the darn things.
WAR EAGLE!