What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel substructure and EFIS placement

nodgnal51

I building an RV-6 and am about to start work on the F-668 sub panel, the placement of the F-646 ribs that connect the firewall to the sub panel, the placement of the F-645 ribs that connect the sub panel to the panel and of course the F-603 panel.

My question relates to the placement of the F-646 and the F-645 ribs. It seems to me that if they are placed where the plans call for they will be pretty well in the middle of where I want to place the EFIS.

How much, if any, can the F-645 (sub to panel ribs) be moved to allow the EFIS to be centered in front of the pilot and copilot.

The plans also show the F-646 (firewall to sub panel) and the F645 (sub to panel ribs) in line and sharing common rivets through the sub panel. Is this required, ie, if the F-645 (sub to panel ribs) are moved do the F-646 (firewall to sub panel) ribs need to move as well.

There are a bunch of glass panels out there how have you guys placed the instruments where they function well and look good without running into the substructure.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

Cut off the aft end of the rib from (at the sub panel). Then move it over as necessary. Attach it with a piece of .063 angle.

He doesn't even have to cut them; it's not like the -7 and -9. By design, they share rivets in the subpanel with the forward ribs but you can relocate them laterally. I ordered an extra rib from Van so that I could have one on either side of the EFIS in lieu of the original left side location and then the one on the right got moved a couple of inches to make room for the map box. Mine's a tipper and plenty strong at the panel; you'll have even less worries if you're doing a slider as the canopy deck adds structure.

I have a single D100 aligned with the pilot's nose. I moved the LH rib to the right just enough to clear the EFIS tray. Although it doesn't line up with forward rib the overall assembly seems strong and stiff enough.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

I, too, am at that magic point where solutions and decisions cross. Not having the avionics and comm gear means that, as usual, I'll be building one section and hoping that it doesn't need to be re-built when the next decision is finally made. Seems that part of the solution is defining the question. Not to be critical Steve, but is seems that part of the question goes beyond the mere location of the F-645 R&L ribs. These ribs align with the F-646 ribs to stiffen and transfer panel weight/movement. When they get moved laterally to accommodate the Dynon box, can a modified F-645 still align, serve its original purpose, ANDE fit behind the original position? Lateral movement puts F-645 pressure in the unsupported areas of the F-668 bulkhead. Can lateral movement be avoided in favor of a 'stubbed' substitute rib?

Just my observations and pondering ... and I'm still working on the tip-up hinge supports, the F-644 'ribs' and canopy frame. www.mykitlog.com/garyc Have NOT committed to the position or structure of the F-645. I'd love to see some pictures (website?) and even crawl under someone's tip-up to get a 'look see'.

There are a bunch of glass panels out there how have you guys placed the instruments where they function well and look good without running into the substructure.

in 2015 - UPDATE - I ultimately used the original F-645 ribs, mounted both ribs horizontally ABOVE the center section of the panel. Riveted together two ribs on one flange provide a sort of rib-shelf like mega-rib just above the EFIS and VP-100 power management panel. The forward flange of the F-645 ribs were removed and the webs attach to an AA3-063 3/4x3/4 angle riveted across the F-668 bulkhead, between the canopy hinge areas. Used LP4-3 rivets for the angle and K1000-08 nutplates for the fasteners to the F-603 panel (will post a photo and more explanation at for 1/20/2015 update)
gary

Last edited:
cut out the bottom of the rib

I notched the bottom of the rib and reinforced with a 3/4" angle. This allowed a lot more room. Now all I have to do is buy an EFIS system.

I would be interested in the file as well. I plan to layout my panel in AutoCAD and have it cut out in a shop. Your file would be a great start!

I know mine is a 7 and not a 6 but maybe the pictures in the link below will spur an idea.

Mine is a tip-up so I was concerned about weakening the hinge point support by the common method of sideshifting the panel support rib.

I asked Van about it at OSH many years ago and he agreed. The panel structure is integral.

I cut the rib to clear my EFIS and then put in a triangulating rib to regain some structural stiffness.

Link to the pics

Back