What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How old is kit number 82881

SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
Looking at buying Emp Kit and was wondering if anyone would have an idea how old kit number 82881 is? Also, is the kit number established when one buys the Emp Kit for the whole airplane?

Thanks,
Don

Not sure of specific age, but yes... Numbers are assigned when a builder first buys the Emp kit. All the future purchases use the number as a customer ID for Vans.

Yep.

As has been said, the first number of an RV-8 customer number is the model. I.E. RV-8, the next four are the S.N.# of that air craft. The whole thing is issued to the builder when he first buys his tail kit to start the build.
This number is pretty far up the scale. I can't tell you what year, but it is a late issue kit. You can call Vans or E-mail them and one of the office people will be able to tell you when this number was handed out, as that is were they are handed out when the start kit is ordered. Don't ask how I know this. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I would guess it is full pre-punched with the higher number. Mine is 80305, Vintage 1990s and needed more layout and drilling with mostly only prepunched skins.

Close to mine

Mine is 82718, and it was purchased in May 2007.
You are about 170 newer, so maybe....mid 2008.

I'm 83298, emp ordered in May 2012. Interpolating from Steve's number, that's 116 kits per year on average, and you're 163 ahead of Steve, so I'd say that kit's maybe September 2008 vintage.

yes, but....

...what day in September, Philip? :D Haha, Just messin' with my fellow Texan!

Back