What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Upgrade - RV-8 - GTX-345

f14av8r

Well Known Member
I'm providing links to my ADSB upgrade schematic along with my GTX-345 configuration table.

I bought a GTX-345 and a Flightstream 210 at Oshkosh last year. I did the initial install in August of 2018. I replaced the existing GTX-327 with the GTX-345 and added the FS-210. I also replaced the audio panel, upgraded my TruTrak autopilot, and made some wiring changes to my AERA-660.

The initial installation went well but, after getting it up and running, I discovered a configuration problem that required some minor rewiring. The transponder was working well but I wasn't getting the proper data from the 430W to the autopilot or the EFIS. This is a big foot stomper! All the data format options are not available on every input or output of the 345! RS-232 1-3 have more options than the RS-232 4 port. And, you sometimes cannot configure the inputs and outputs of a single port separately. Good luck finding that in the documentation! I had established my initial wiring based on being able to configure some things in the 345 that weren't possible once I got it all hooked up.

I decided to fly with the less than optimal configuration for a few months for a couple of reasons. First, I dreaded pulling everything apart again and second, I thought I might learn more about what changes I should make when I went back in. That was a good decision.

Additionally, my RV-8 did not have an avionics access panel in the forward package compartment. I was determined to put one in before working on my avionics stack again. That was another, exceptionally good decision. So, a few days ago, I made the big cut and installed the access panel and boy did that make things easier. I'm not sure why anybody would every build an RV-8 without installing an access panel in the forward baggage compartment. I should have cut one before doing the initial installation of my ADSB equipment. SOOOOO much easier. I was able to access the 430W and GTX-345 plugs and rewire the necessary pins without pulling the panel.

When I bought the GTX-345 from Spruce, I also bought their harness. That was also a great decision. I made some significant modifications to the harness and added a lot of other wiring but the pre-made harness was a good start and well worth the cost. Just being able to see how Spruce manufactured their harness gave me a real leg up when I started making my own. Wiring the GTX-345 and GNS-430 isn't overly difficult but did require some techniques I hadn't used before. I'll just say this - get the right size pins, the right pin inserter/pullers, a good mechanical pin crimper, Raychem solder sleeves, and a really good soldering iron!

Configuring the various equipments was the hardest part. Finding accurate documentation on the Garmin equipment is frustrating. I emailed the G3X team and they put the latest and greatest manuals in my hands. That was essential as a lot of the stuff on the internet is outdated and incorrect. This is especially true when it comes to the settings / configuration pages of the 430 and the 345.

I'm very happy with the 345 and the 210. The 345 is a superb (though pricey) one box solution to the ADSB problem. The 210 allows my 660, iPad (Foreflight or Garmin Pilot), and the 430W to exchange flight plans and updates in real time. I also made a 232 connection between the 660 and my SL-40 that lets the 660 send the SL-40 frequencies for the selected airport automatically.

Here is the Schematic:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sp5w58uie17vxv/N184RK%20ADSB%20Schematic%20032419.pdf?dl=0
Here is the Configuration Table:https://www.dropbox.com/s/77mcjd9tz0qmkd4/GTX-345%20Interfacing%20Sheet%20N184RK.pdf?dl=0

And, finally a couple of photos of my new Avionics Access panel:
IMG_4722-M.jpg

IMG_4723-M.jpg

Nice ! So you don’t have the possibility of the Aera660 running the autopilot?

I have a SL-40 and my Garmin 396 is running my Dynon autopilot. I have to study now to see if my Aera 560 will change the comm frequencies and if so I might change it just because I have it and it’s more modern.

660 running Autopilot

While the 660 is certainly capable of running the autopilot, I didn't see the advantage. The Vizon autopilot works really well in coordination with the 430W and the AFS EFIS.

Back