What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it easier to remove RV9 wings?

hughfi

Well Known Member
Hi there,

Clearly removing the RV12 wings is a known entity and makes it appealing for summer flying. However, if one wanted to remove the wings once a year, is the RV9 easier than the other RV's as they attach outside the fuselage? Do I have that right?

Thanks for any info/pictures.

Hugh

NO!

RV-9 wings do not attach externally. They are bolted inside the fuselage in the wheel weldment area and are NOT easy to remove.
Installation requires assistance and slow methodical insertion of the bolts. If you insert the bolts too far, you may not be able to get the washer and nut on, because the wheel weldment does not provide sufficient room. You have to drive the bolt in just far enough to get the washer on, then drive it in a bit more to get the nut started and slowly move the bolt in while tightening the nut until the bolt is fully installed. You'll also find that you cannot torque the nuts from the nut side, you'll have to do that from the head side, while adjusting the torque setting appropriately.

In my opinion, once I got those wings installed they were NOT coming off while I own the airplane.

Figure on 3-4 hours to remove the wings from a 9, with some help. You won't get it done alone.

Yes ,what they said. Mine have been on since 2008 and I hope I have No plans for removing those anytime soon.

I hope to never have to take those wings off and put them back on. It was a big effort to get them on there and the access to the bolts/nuts/washers as mentioned is very limited on several of the locations.

Back